Louis-Philippe Samson is a Partner in our Business Law Group. His practice is focused on banking and corporate finance and merger and acquisition, particularly in the areas of retail (including regulated retail industries), transportation, mining, agribusiness and corporate lending. Louis-Philippe also assists various professional service corporations (dentists, optometrists, etc.) in the context of various transactions and regulatory matters.
Louis-Philippe’s experience includes participating in the following transactions and mandates:
Banking and Corporate Finance Matters:
- Champion Iron Limited and Quebec Iron Ore Inc. in connection with the approximately US$300 million financing for the restart of the Bloom Lake iron ore mine near Fermont, Québec.
- Groupe Le Massif Inc. in connection with its corporate matters, lending matters and the development the Club Med du Massif de Charlevoix.
- La Maison Simons Inc. in connection with the $215 million financing and development of its multi-service fully automated fulfillment centre.
- Apparel manufacturer in connection with its corporate and lending matters.
- Investment funds in connection with their investments in start-up and mid-market corporations.
- Various lending syndicates in the manufacturing, agribusiness and retail sectors.
- Financial institutions in connection with financing of vessels within Canada and around the world.
Merger and Acquisitions:
- Fonds de solidarité des travailleurs du Québec and Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec in connection with the acquisition of a minority stake in Groupe Océan for approximately $112 million.
- Enbridge Inc. in connection with the sale of a 49% interest in select Canadian onshore renewable power assets to Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB) for approximately $1.75 billion.
- Champion Iron Limited in connection with its acquisition of the Bloom Lake iron-ore mine near Fermont, Québec, from Cliffs Natural Resources.
- FYi Eye Care Services and Products Inc. in connection with various acquisition transactions in the Province of Québec.
- Majority shareholders of Bookenda in connection with the sale of all of its issued and outstanding shares to Yellow Media Limited.
- Groupe Lebel Inc. in connection with (i) the purchase of all of the issued and outstanding shares of Cambium Group Inc.; (ii) the investment of Fonds Valorisation Bois, S.E.C.; and (iii) the purchase of the assets of Daaquam Lumber Inc.
- Aircraft and helicopters purchasers or sellers in connection with the purchase and sale transactions of their crafts.
Louis-Philippe obtained a bachelor’s degree in business administration at HEC Montréal in 2009 and a bachelor’s degree in civil law from Université Laval in 2012. He was called to the Québec bar in 2013. Louis-Philippe is the Chairman of the board of directors of Théâtre Périscope in Québec City.