Creative, strategic and thoughtful in his approach, Louis-Martin provides clients with seamless service on complex real estate transactions across industries.
Louis-Martin is a partner in our Montreal office and a member of the firm’s Real Property and Planning Group. With over 25 years of industry experience, Louis-Martin provides clients with strategic advice and solutions to their most complex transactions within the Canadian market.
Louis-Martin’s practice includes advising and representing property owners, developers, pension funds, asset managers and lenders in a wide range of real estate transactions, including acquisitions, development projects and financing involving office buildings, shopping centers, industrial assets and residential complexes. He also represents property owners in all facets of real estate ownership, including redevelopment, leasing and management.
With experience in industries such as real estate, construction, infrastructure and investment management, clients benefit from Louis-Martin’s perspective and comprehensive approach to business and the law. An experienced negotiator and mediator, known for his calm demeanor when the stakes are high, Louis-Martin is skilled at navigating challenging transactions and developing custom solutions for clients when they need it most.
Louis-Martin is a thought leader in the industry, having dedicated more than 15 years as a co-speaker at the annual review of case law presented by the Canadian Bar Association.
A strong supporter of cultural and educational organizations, he has participated in fundraising activities for the Mosaic Foundation and Les Grands Ballets Canadiens. Louis-Martin also serves as governor of the Fondation du Barreau du Québec.
Louis-Martin received his LL.B. from Université de Montréal (1985) and is a member of the Barreau du Québec (1986). He was a member of the Barreau du Québec’s standing committee on the law of security for many years.
ARTICLES AND LECTURES
- Training sessions on new building safety regulations, (spring 2013);
- The importance attached by the courts to peaceful enjoyment of leased premises and some practical applications (Canadian Institute - June 8, 2011);
- The impact of recent case law in real estate (Conference on real estate leasing in Montréal - April 13, 2011);
- Conflicts between the rights of tenants and mortgage creditors (Federated Press – Commercial Leases - January 19-21, 2010);
- Recent case law in real estate (Canadian Bar Association – from 2000 to date);
- Regular legal columns in Espace Montréal, a trade journal for the real estate industry.
Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading lawyer in the areas of Property Leasing and Property Development
Best Lawyers in Canada
Leading lawyer in the area of Real Estate Law