Liezl is a partner in our Business Law and Financial Services groups in Vancouver. Her practice is primarily focused in the areas of project finance, infrastructure, public-private-partnerships and secured lending. She also has experience with refinancings and other secondary market transactions in respect of completed projects.
Liezl represents a wide variety of clients, including borrowers and lenders, in connection with project finance agreements, secured credit facilities and the development of projects. She also regularly advises developers and lenders in connection with developing and financing renewable energy projects.
Some of her recent and notable work includes:
Corporate Debt and Project Finance:
- advising the lenders in connection with their $165 million loan to finance the Manitoba Fibre Project (2021 IJ Global Telecoms Deal of the Year);
- advising a developer in connection with its investment, development and financing of various renewable energy projects across Canada;
- advising the lenders in connection with their $250 million loan to finance the construction, development and operation of a paper processing facility;
- advising a major chemical producer in respect of its syndicated bank facility, the issuances of its Senior Notes and its project finance facilities;
- advising a major forestry company in respect of its syndicated credit facility, its bilateral credit facility and its senior secured notes; and
- advising a major life sciences company in connection with its $250 million syndicated credit facility.
Infrastructure and Public Private Partnerships:
- advising the lenders to the successful bidder for the Gordie Howe International Bridge Project (2018 Lexpert Deal of the Year, 2018 IJ Global Roads Deal of the Year for North America, 2019 P3 Award for Best Road/Bridge/Tunnel Project, Project Finance International 2018 Americas Transport Deal of the Year, Canadian Council for Public Private Partnerships 2019 Gold Award for Project Financing, CG/LA Infrastructure 2019 Oracle Project of the Year Award and Outstanding Emerging Project by the National Council for Public-Private Partnerships);
- advising the successful bidder for the Finch West LRT Project (2018 IJ Global Rail Deal of the Year for North America);
- advising the lenders to the successful bidder for the West Park Healthcare Centre Project (2019 P3 Award (Silver) for Best Social Infrastructure Project (excluding Education) and 2019 P3 Award (Silver) for Best Financial Structure – Social Infrastructure);
- advising the lenders to the successful bidder for the Royal Inland Hospital Patient Care Tower Project (2018 IJ Global Social Infrastructure Deal of the Year for North America);
- advising the successful proponent in connection with the Edmonton Valley Line West LRT Extension Project (2018 IJ Global Rail Deal of the Year for North America); • advising the lenders to the successful bidder for the Tlicho All-Season Road Project (Canadian Council for Public Private Partnerships 2019 Gold Award for Project Development);
- advising the issuer in a cross-border bond issuance valued at approximately $207M to refinance the Winsor Essex Parkway Project (“North America Refinancing Deal of the Year” (2017) by IJGlobal – Project Finance & Infrastructure Journal);
- advising the issuer in connection with its bond issuance valued at approximately $1.2 billion to refinance the Autoroute 30 Road Project;
- advising two developers in connection with the sale of their interests in the Penticton Regional Hospital Project in Penticton, British Columbia;
- advising a developer in connection with the sale of its majority interest in the Autoroute 30 Road Project, Quebec; and
- advising a developer in connection with the sale of its interest in the Royal Ottawa Hospital Project, Ontario.
Liezl received a B.Comm (Honours) with a focus on Finance from the University of British Columbia in 2010 and her JD from the University of Toronto in 2013. Liezl was called to the Ontario Bar and the British Columbia Bar in 2014 and is a member of the Canadian Bar Association, the Vancouver Bar Association, the Law Society of British Columbia and the Law Society of Ontario.
Leading Lawyer: Project Finance
The Legal 500 - Canada
Next Generation Lawyer: Infrastructure and Projects