Kosta Kalogiros is a partner in our Litigation Group in Toronto. He maintains a broad litigation practice, with experience in various practice areas and industries, such as corporate/commercial matters, domestic and international arbitration, professional negligence, commercial leasing and real property, product liability, telecommunications, and estates.
Kosta has particular expertise advising key players in the automotive sector and is a leader in the firm’s Automotive Industry Group. He has expertise in autonomous vehicles, artificial intelligence, and deep learning, particularly in the infrastructure and transportation contexts. In addition to advising clients on risk management strategies and the disruptive impact of these technologies, he has particular experience and perspective on the evolving Canadian and international regulatory frameworks for autonomous vehicles and other artificial intelligence applications.
Kosta has appeared before all levels of the Ontario courts. He has also appeared before administrative bodies, including the College of Physicians and Surgeons, the Health Professions Appeal and Review Board, and the College of Physiotherapists. As well, he has acted for claimants and respondents in private domestic and international arbitration matters.
In addition to traditional litigation mandates, Kosta's experience includes providing real time strategic risk management advice, public relations and pre-litigation assistance, and due diligence/liability opinions in all manner of industries and contexts. As well, he keeps abreast of, and is engaged in, developments in the AI and deep learning space.
Kosta received his JD from Osgoode Hall Law School in 2010 where he graduated in the top five percent of his class and now occasionally participates as an outside negotiations instructor. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Advocates’ Society, the Canadian Bar Association, and the Ontario Bar Association.
Kosta is also actively involved in the Hellenic legal community, serving as the President of the Hellenic Canadian Lawyers Association. He is conversationally proficient in Greek.
RECENT MANDATES & CASES
- advising on the regulatory landscape of autonomous vehicle operation and testing in Canada;
- acting for the claimant in a $5,000,000 private shareholder arbitration;
- acting for a communications company in a multi-million dollar private arbitration;
- successfully resisting multiple reviews/appeals to the Health Profession Appeal and Review Board;
- acting for wind farm developers throughout the regulatory approval process and in relation to third party opposition/obstruction;
- Allen v. Aspen Group Resources Corporation, 2012 ONSC 3498;
- 2156384 Ontario Inc. v. C&K Property Management Inc., 2012 ONSC 6759;
- Kara v. Arnold, 2014 ONSC 2647, 2015 ONCA 871;
- Fram Elgin Mills 90 Inc. v. Romandale Farms Limited, 2015 ONSC 7308;
- Fram Elgin Mills 90 Inc. v. Romandale Farms Limited, 2016 ONCA 404.