Kim is a commercial-minded tax lawyer helping clients manage risk and optimize business opportunities with pragmatic and proactive advice and solutions
Kim Brown is a partner in the firm’s Business Law Group and a member of the firm’s Tax Group in Vancouver. Combining technical strength with business acumen, Kim is experienced in navigating clients through both complex transactional matters in Canada and across borders and providing practical, business-oriented advice.
Kim’s practice focuses on the tax aspects of mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganizations, corporate finance, partnerships, trusts, real estate and cross-border transactions. In her corporate tax planning practice, she works with businesses of all sizes, across a number industry sectors including real estate, infrastructure, public and private companies, private equity, and institutional investors.
Kim regularly acts for Canadian and international private equity funds in connection with the structuring of the funds, and the acquisition and disposition of Canadian businesses and assets.
Kim has published numerous papers for various publications and conferences, including the Canadian Tax Foundation, the Canadian Tax Journal and the Tax Management International Journal.
Kim received her JD from the University of Toronto and her BComm with Distinction from the University of Victoria. She also completed the CICA In-Depth Tax Course, Levels I & II. Kim was admitted to the Ontario Bar in 2009 and to the BC Bar in 2019.
Kim has advised on the following transactions:
- Acted as Canadian counsel to Blue Wolf Capital Partners LLC on the acquisition and related financing of a majority stake in The State Group, a leading North American multi-trade industrial and specialty services contractor
- Acted for Brio Gold in the US$264-million unsolicited takeover bid by Leagold Mining Corporation for all of the issued and outstanding shares of Brio Gold
- Acted for Canadian real estate investment trusts and major unitholders, including with respect to the recent $1.1 billion acquisition of OneREIT by SmartREIT and Strathallen Acquisitions Inc.
- Acted for Atlas Holdings in connection with Atlas's acquisition of an 80% equity interest in Millar Western Forest Products and Atlas's exchange of high-yield notes for new secured high- yield notes as the supporting noteholder for Millar Western's US$210-million note exchange transaction
- Acted for the syndicate of underwriters, led by RBC Capital Markets and Scotiabank, in connection with a US$173-million bought deal public offering of common shares of New Gold Inc. The net proceeds from the offering were used to finance the completion of the construction of the Rainy River gold project in Ontario, Canada
- Acted for the Special Committee of the board of directors of TIO Networks Corp., in connection with its $304-million acquisition by PayPal Holdings. TIO is a North American cloud-based multi-channel bill payment processing and receivables management company
- Acted for DAK Americas LLC, a producer of PET (polyethylene terephthalate) resins, in connection with its acquisition of a controlling interest in Selenis Canada from IMG Selenis Canada operates a PET plant in Montréal
- Acted as tax counsel to USKAL Corporation LLC and the Serruya Family in connection with the sale of Kahala Brands, Ltd., which operates 18 brands at 2,800 fast-food locations in 27 countries, to MTY Food Group for US$310 million
- Acted for Plastic Moulders Limited in connection with its successful approximately $40-million sale by its shareholders, including Richardson Capital, to Amcor Packaging Investments , a subsidiary of Amcor Limited
- Acted for Fortis Inc. in connection with its US$11.3-billion acquisition of Novi, Michigan-based ITC Holdings Corp., the largest independent electric transmission company in the United States
- Acted for Ironbridge Equity Partners in its acquisition of Advance Engineered Products Ltd.'s tank production and services business under a sale proceeding conducted pursuant to the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act
- Acted as Canadian counsel for Stericycle, in its acquisition of Shred-it International, a global secure information destruction services provider, for US$2.3 billion in cash
- Acted for Agnico Eagle Mines Limited in connection with its $3.9-billion acquisition with Yamana Gold Inc. of Osisko Mining Corporation
- Acted for The Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited in connection with its $650-million purchase of the Hudson's Bay downtown Toronto flagship retail complex and the Simpson's Tower located at 401 Bay Street
- Acted for Square Inc., in connection with the expansion into Canada of its electronic payment service that allows users to accept credit card payments