Kelleher is a Partner in McCarthy Tétrault’s National Pension, Benefits and Executive Compensation Practice in Toronto and a member of the Firm’s Pension Funds Group. Kelleher advises public, private and not-for-profit clients on legal issues relating to the sponsorship, governance and administration of pension plans, health and welfare benefits, and other employee compensation arrangements. He also has expertise advising on employee plan matters in major M&A transactions and secured lending transactions.
Kelleher is a past Chair of the Ontario Bar Association’s Pension & Benefits Section Executive, and is a member of the Association of Canadian Pension Management (ACPM) as well as the International Pension and Employee Benefits Law Association (IPEBLA). Prior to joining McCarthy Tétrault, Kelleher clerked for the Honourable Justice Glennys L. McVeigh and the Honourable Justice Simon Fothergill at the Federal Court of Canada.
Kelleher has recently acted for:
- Brookfield Infrastructure and GIC in the acquisition of Genesee & Wyoming Inc.’s railroad operations for US$8.4 billion
- Unilever Plc in the sale of its spreads business to KKR for US$8 billion
- Cameco Corporation in its joint venture with Brookfield Renewable Partners to acquire Westinghouse Electric Company for US$7.875 billion
- Nestlé S.A. in its US$7.15 billion strategic alliance with Starbucks to market Starbucks' consumer and foodservice products globally
- Nestlé S.A. in its acquisition of core brands from The Bountiful Company for US$5.75 billion
- Summit Industrial Income REIT in its C$5.9 billion all-cash acquisition by a joint venture between GIC and Dream Industrial REIT
- Brookfield Infrastructure in the C$4.3 billion acquisition of Enercare Inc.
- Centrica plc in the US$3.625 billion sale of Direct Energy to NRG Energy Inc.
- Nestlé S.A. in its US$2.3 billion acquisition of Atrium Innovations Inc.
- Credit Suisse AG in the US$1.48 billion financing to Searchlight Capital Partners, L.P. in connection with its acquisition of Mitel Networks Corporation
- Wells Fargo & Company in the C$1.5 billion sale of its Canadian direct equipment finance business to TD Bank
- CCMP Capital Advisors in the approximate US$1 billion acquisition of leading facilities management company BGIS from Brookfield Business Partners
- Jefferies Finance LLC, as the administrative and collateral agent, joint lead arranger and bookrunner, in the US$908 million debt financing by Dentalcorp Health Services ULC
- Morningstar Inc. in the US$669 million acquisition of credit rating agency DBRS
- Samsonite International S.A. in the refinancing of its senior secured credit facilities including revolving facility of US$650 million and initial term loan facilities of US$1.493 billion
- Evolution Mining in the US$375 million cash acquisition of the Red Lake Gold Mine from Newmont Goldcorp
- Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (CDPQ) in the acquisition of a 50% interest in the A25 Concession toll road and bridge network from Transurban for C$355 million
Kelleher received his LL.B from Trinity College Dublin in 2009 and his LL.M from University College London in 2011, and was admitted to practice law in New York in 2012, Ontario in 2014 and British Columbia in 2017. He is a member of the Law Society of Ontario and the Law Society of British Columbia.
Leading Lawyer: Pension & Benefits
The Legal 500 Canada
Next Generation Lawyer: Pensions
Best Lawyers in Canada
Ones to Watch: Employee Benefits Law