Kabir Jamal is an associate in our Tax Group in Toronto. His practice focuses on domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions (public and private), corporate finance, reorganizations, structured finance and other capital markets transactions. He also regularly advises private equity funds, Canadian pension plans and real estate investment trusts.
Kabir’s recent experience includes acting for:
- Vista Equity Partners in its $4.8 billion acquisition of DH Corporation and subsequent cash redemption of DH Corporation’s outstanding convertible debentures;
- Minto Real Estate Investment Trust in its $230 million initial public offering and acquisition of a portfolio of Canadian rental properties;
- Pure Industrial REIT in its acquisition by Blackstone Property Partners and Ivanhoe Cambridge Inc. in a $3.8 billion all-cash deal;
- BCE Inc. in connection with its $3.95 billion privatization of Bell Aliant Inc.;
- OMERS Private Equity in its sale of Give & Go Prepared Foods Corp. to Thomas H. Lee Partners;
- Northleaf Capital Partners in its primary, secondary and co-investment investments in various domestic and foreign investment funds;
- Sunovion Pharmaceuticals Inc. in its $841 million acquisition of Cynapsus Therapeutics Inc.;
- Ainsworth Lumber Co. Ltd. in its acquisition by Norbord Inc. in a $762.6 million all-share deal
Kabir has authored articles on a variety of income tax matters, including domestic and international corporate taxation and the taxation of partnerships. He is the former Chair of the Canadian Tax Foundation’s Young Practitioners’ Group (Toronto Branch), and is a member of the Canadian Tax Foundation, the International Fiscal Association and the Canadian Bar Association.
Kabir received his combined LLB/BCL from the McGill Faculty of Law in 2011, and was called to the Ontario bar in 2012.