Julien Beaulieu is an associate in our Competition/Antitrust & Foreign Investment Group in Montréal. His practice focuses on competition law and foreign investment, including mergers and acquisitions, abuse of dominance, criminal and civil investigations, and regulatory compliance.
Some of the transactions in which he has been involved include:
- The acquisition by BrandSafway of AGF Access Group Inc., specialized in reinforcing steel, post-tensioning and scaffolding and access solutions.
- Endeavour Mining's C$1 billion all-stock acquisition of TSX-listed mining company SEMAFO which operates the Boungou and Mana gold mines in Burkina Faso
- Innergex's strategic alliance with Hydro-Québec including a C$661 million investment by Hydro-Québec in Innergex
- Eddyfi/NDT's acquisition of Norway-based subsea inspection business Halfwave AS
- CDPQ's acquisition of an 18% stake in Alstom (C$4 billion) following the announcement of Alstom to acquire Bombardier Transportation
- Olymel and La Coop fédérée's acquisition of pork and milling assets from F. Ménard
- Noverco's C$1.1 billion agreement to acquire Valener
- Le Groupe Maurice's sale of an 85% interest in its Canadian senior housing portfolio through its partnership with Ventas
- Morningstar's US$669 million acquisition of DBRS, the world's fourth largest credit ratings agency
- The acquisition by an investor consortium led by ANTA Sports of Amer Sports for US$5B
- Gestion MAC's sale of a 55% stake in its building materials businesses to Groupe BMR
Julien completed his bachelor’s degree in civil law (LL.B.) and a master’s in business administration at Université de Sherbrooke in 2017. During his studies, he did an internship as an officer in the Mergers Branch of the Competition Bureau. He also studied European Union competition law during a semester at Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne. Featured three times on the dean’s list of his law faculty, Julien is also a two-time recipient of U SPORTS’ Governor General’s Academic All-Canadian Commendation.
Following his studies, Julien articled at an international firm specializing in litigation and insurance law. He is a member of the Canadian Bar Association and the Young Bar Association of Montréal. He was called to the Québec Bar in 2018.