With high-profile experience in China and Canada, Joyce is uniquely positioned to get deals done for clients at a global scale.
Joyce brings a unique perspective to her practice, skillfully uniting Canadian companies seeking Chinese investors with Chinese companies looking to expand into North America. She also regularly advises corporate executives in the financial sector about taking advantage of opportunities and navigating risk.
Born and raised in Hong Kong and with over 20 years experience working in the North American marketplace, Joyce has both the cultural and business skills necessary to view potential deals from each party’s perspective. Her communication skills - she speaks English, Mandarin and Cantonese fluently - smoothly guide Asian companies into Canada, including joint ventures in mining and other natural resources sectors; and, the technology, life science and real estates industries.
Providing strategic advice to corporate clients
Leadership teams from across Canada and Asia, including public companies listed on TSX, NYSE, HK Stock Exchange, Shanghai Stock Exchange, Shenzhen Stock Exchange asset management companies and investment firms, frequently solicit Joyce’s advice on how to grow their business and make strategic moves in the marketplace, whether within Canada or abroad. She has earned the trust of some of the biggest players in the industry by successfully strategizing with them on:
- structuring and carrying out domestic and cross border mergers, acquisitions and reorganizations;
- advising on securities regulatory issues for registrants, investment dealers and investment advisors;
- advising on take-over bids (for both targets and offerors);
- advising on public offerings and private placements for issuers in various industries, including mining and resources, technology, real estate development, services and education;
- advising on various investment transactions of foreign companies into Canada, including joint ventures in mining and other natural resources sectors, automobile sector, forestry sector and technology sector;
- advising on investment transactions of Canadian companies into the Greater China region;
- structuring and advising on executive and employee compensation and incentive plans for Canadian and international companies; and
- advising on going private transactions, corporate governance, continuous disclosure issues and proxy contests.
FOLLOWING IS A SELECT LIST OF MINING TRANSACTIONS THAT JOYCE LED INVOLVING CHINESE STATE-OWNED ENTERPRISES:
- lead counsel to CNIC HK (the investment arm of SASAC) in a preferred shares investment in a State-owned enterprise
- lead counsel to Maple Red Financial Management Canada in its sale of the Bentall Centre complex in Vancouver to a US-based joint venture of Blackstone Property Partners and Hudson Pacific Properties
- lead counsel to Sinomine (Hong Kong) Rare Metals Resources Co. Limited in its US$135 million acquisition of Cabot Corporation's Specialty Fluids business
- lead counsel to Aluminum Corporation of China in its C$840 million acquisition of Peru Copper Inc.
- lead counsel to CGN Mining Company Ltd. in its C$82 million strategic investment in Fission Uranium Corp.
- lead counsel to Wuhan Iron & Steel (Group) Corporation in its C$980 million sale by Wuhan Iron & Steel (Group) Corporation of shares of Consolidated Thompson to Cliffs Natural Resources;
- lead counsel to Can-China Resource Global Fund for strategic investment in acquiring a certain interest in Canadian International Oil Company;
- lead counsel to Wuhan Iron & Steel (Group) Corporation in its C$120 million strategic investment by WISCO in Adriana Resources Inc. and the Lac Otelnuk Project;
- lead counsel to investments by Can-China Resource Fund (mining fund which EXIM as a key investor)
- lead counsel to WISCO International Resources in its US$60 million Sale by Wuhan Iron & Steel (Group) Corporation of shares of consolidated Thompson to Cliffs Natural Resources
- lead counsel to Hebei Iron & Steel Group in its US$60 million investment by Hebei Iron & Steel Group in Alderon Iron Ore Corp.
- lead counsel to WISCO International Resources in the consolidation transaction of Adriana Resource Inc. and Sprott Resources Holdings Inc.
- lead counsel to Wuhan Iron & Steel (Group) Corporation in its US$240 million completion of all capital investment by WISCO in consolidated Thompson and the Bloom Lake joint venture;
- lead counsel to Yunnan Chihong Group in it C$150 million total investment by Yunnan Chihong Group in the Selwyn project;
- lead counsel to Wuhan Iron & Steel (Group) Corporation in its US$100 million investment by WISCO as a joint venture partner in the Sunny Lake project with initial project;
- lead counsel to Wuhan Iron & Steel (Group) Corporation in its US$97 million completion of investment by WISCO as a joint venture partner in Atikamagen project with initial project;
- lead counsel to China CAMC Engineering Co., Ltd. for various investment transactions with Procon Group;
- lead counsel to CAMCE Holding Inc. and Procon Group for taking private transaction of Golden Band Resources Inc.
- lead counsel to Hebei Iron & Steel Group in its US$120 million investment in KAMI Iron Ore project;
- lead counsel to Jinchuan Group Limited in respect of M&A transaction (undisclosed); and
- provide select advising services to China Gold International Resource Corp.
FOLLOWING IS A SELECT LIST OF TRANSACTIONS THAT JOYCE LED INVOLVING TECHNOLOGY COMPANIES:
- advising Zhongshan Broad-Ocean Co. Ltd. on its strategic investments in Ballard Power Systems Inc.;
- advising TP-Link Technologies Col. Ltd. on various business matters;
- advising Ad.Venture Partners in its US$87.63 million acquisition of 180 Connect Inc.; and
- advising BYD on various commercial matters.
Joyce earned her BA (Hons) (Jurisprudence) in 1989 and her MA in 1996 from Oxford University, England. Admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales in 1992 and Hong Kong in 1993, she was called to the British Columbia bar in 1995 and practised in London, England and Hong Kong before joining us in our Vancouver office in 1994. Joyce’s professional affiliations include serving as the Legislative Liaison of the Canadian Bar Association, Securities Law section; the Law Society of England and Wales; the Law Society of Hong Kong; the Law Society of British Columbia; the Canadian Bar Association; the Canada-China Business Council and the Hong Kong-Canada Business Association.
As Chair of the firm’s Asia Group and a regular speaker at conferences and seminars focused on business from China and the Asia Pacific region, Joyce has earned an international reputation as an authority in her field.