A skilled and trusted advisor, clients look to Jonathan to navigate their complex competition/antitrust and foreign investment needs
As a partner in our Competition/Antitrust & Foreign Investment Group and Communications Group in Toronto, Jonathan is known for his expertise in advising clients on competition/antitrust and Investment Canada Act review clearances for their mergers and acquisitions. He has advised on some of the most complex and high-stakes domestic and global mergers across a diverse array of industries.
Jonathan is also a trusted advisor to those seeking advice with regards to compliance with the Competition Act (e.g., trade practices, advertising) and Investment Canada Act, including national security. Additionally, he acts for clients in investigations and litigation relating to the Competition Act.
Jonathan also advises clients on a variety of communications law topics, such as telecommunications, broadcasting and spectrum management.
In recognition of his capabilities, Who’s Who Legal has named Jonathan as a Competition Future Leader, and Financier Worldwide recognized him as a Power Players Competition & Antitrust Future Star. Jonathan is also former Chair of both the Mergers Committee and Economics and Law Committee of the National Competition Law Section of the Canadian Bar Association. He has also co-authored the Canada chapter of the Foreign Investment Review 2021, Law Business Research.
Jonathan has represented numerous clients with their important transactional work. Most prominently, he advised:
- American Metals & Coal International and Riverstone Holdings in their $350 million acquisition of the Ridley Terminals from the Government of Canada
- Shire in its US$62 billion acquisition by Takeda
- Rockwell Collins in its US$30 billion acquisition by United Technologies Corporation
- Dow Chemical in its US$130 billion merger with DuPont
- Enbridge in its $37 billion acquisition of Spectra Energy
- Kraft in its US$40 billion merger with Heinz
- Molson Coors in its US$12 billion acquisition of the Miller brands
- Lafarge in its US$50 billion merger with Holcim
- Sun Life in its $560 million acquisition of Bentall Kennedy
- Leon's in its $700 million acquisition of The Brick
- Agrium (now Nutrien) in its $1.8 billion acquisition of the Viterra assets
Jonathan was called to the bar in Ontario in 2012 and is a member of the Law Society of Ontario, the Canadian Bar Association, the Ontario Bar Association and the American Bar Association.
Jonathan received his B.Sc. (Hons.) in Medical Science from the University of Western Ontario in 2007. He received his JD/MBA from the Faculty of Law and Rotman School of Management at the University of Toronto in 2011. In 2010, he completed an exchange at the Faculty of Law of the University of Hong Kong.