Using game-changing industry insight and comprehensive knowledge, clients get solutions to their most complex corporate and commercial law matters.
Jody is a partner in the Vancouver office and a member of the firm's Business Law and Financial Services Group. Known for her in-depth experience and holistic approach, her practice is primarily focused in the areas of infrastructure development, project finance, and general corporate and commercial law.
Clients value Jody's outstanding track record and her commitment to their business which allows her to tailor her approach to best target all aspects of their projects. Jody advises clients on a broad range of project and governance matters across various industries and sectors. Prior to joining McCarthy Tétrault, Jody was the Director of Legal Services for the Vancouver Airport Authority where she oversaw virtually all aspects of its legal services, including construction and engineering, commercial development, and treasury and finance. Jody has also acted as lead counsel and corporate secretary to one of the world's premier international airport developer and operators. She regularly draws upon this experience to offer clients a broader perspective while delivering value and seamless coverage.
Some of Jody's recent transactions include:
- advising the successful proponent in connection with the development of a concession program at Kansas City International Airport’s newly opened airport terminal building;
- advising Aecon Group Inc. in connection with its $128 million sale of a minority interest in Bermuda Skyport Corporation Limited;
- advising Vantage Airport Group and Corsair Infrastructure Partners, as lead developer and equity holder respectively, in connection with the US$4.2B John F. Kennedy International Airport Terminal 6 Redevelopment Project;
- advising the successful proponent in connection with the redevelopment and operation of concession space at the William H. Gray III 30th Street Station Amtrak Station in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania pursuant to a 50 year lease;
- advising an award-winning airport authority in connection with a various operational, regulatory, financial and strategic issues;
- advising a member of the successful proponent in connection with the redevelopment and operation of retail space at the Chicago Midway International Airport;
- advising a partner in connection with the negotiation and implementation of a transportation-related innovation joint venture;
- advising a Canadian infrastructure concessions company in connection with the L.F. Wade International Airport Redevelopment Project, a 30-year concession granted by the Government of Bermuda to finance, construct and operate a new airport terminal;
- advising a member of the successful proponent in connection with the US$5.1 billion LaGuardia Airport Central Terminal Building Replacement Project;
- advising an airport authority in connection with various issuances of floating rate notes, debentures and consent solicitations;
- advising a lifestyle and athletic wear company on various credit facilities;
- advising lenders to the successful proponent for the Emily Carr University Project;
- advising a proponent on the Build Alberta Schools Construction Program Project; and
- advising the successful proponent for the BC Children's and BC Women's Redevelopment Project
A committed member of the aviation community, Jody is a frequent speaker at various events and conferences on airport related matters, including the Global Airport Development Conference, a Canadian Embassy seminar on Public-Private Partnership Models for Airports and a firm sponsored event on the potential privatization of Canada's Airports.
Jody obtained her LLB in 1997 from the University of British Columbia and her LLM in Tax Law from Osgoode Hall Law School in 2005. She was called to the British Columbia bar in 1998. She has successfully completed the Canadian Securities Course, the Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants In-Depth Tax Course (Parts I through III), and, most recently, the Directors Education Program, Institute of Corporate Directors, Toronto Rotman School of Management, ICD.D.
Leading Lawyer: Projects: PPP & Infrastructure - Canada
Leading Lawyer - Projects: PPP & Infrastructure
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Infrastructure Law
Lexpert Special Edition: Infrastructure
IFLR 1000 Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms
Notable Practitioner: Project Development
Canadian General Counsel Awards
The co-recipient of the Canadian General Counsel Award in the Tomorrow's Leader category.