Practical, creative and business-minded, Jocelyn is devoted to finding effective solutions to clients' legal and financial issues.
Jocelyn is a partner in our Bankruptcy & Restructuring group in Montreal. Recognized as a practical and business-oriented professional with a creative legal mind, his practice focuses on all aspects of insolvency and restructuring matters, including strategic advising, negotiations, deal-making and pleading in front of the courts.
Jocelyn acts for all types of stakeholders involved in insolvency and restructuring matters, including debtors, secured creditors, monitors, trustees, receivers, investors, purchasers and groups of creditors. He is involved at all stages: advising clients to mitigate risks and consequences of a potential insolvency, crafting solutions to complete informal workouts, assisting clients involved in formal insolvency proceedings, negotiating transactions and ligating contentious matters.
Jocelyn has been involved in significant insolvency matters, including the following ones:
- Homburg Invest, a real estate holding having $2.8 billion of debts and more than 9000 creditors at the time of its filing (representing the monitor);
- Stornoway Diamond, a former public company owning a diamond mine (representing Investissement Québec, a senior creditor which participated to the acquisition of the mine);
- Groupe Capitales Médias, a media group owning six newspapers in Quebec and Ontario (representing the monitor);
- Béton Brunet, a major construction group in Quebec (representing the debtors in its fast-track CCAA proceedings involving 800 creditors);
- Taxelco Group, which used to operate ''Téo Taxi'' and other taxi companies in Montreal (representing the monitor);
- Hexagone, a major construction group in Quebec (representing the court-appointed representatives of the 150 subcontractors);
- Bloom Lake, the owner of a major iron ore mine (representing Quebec Iron Ore, a subsidiary of Champion Iron, which acquired the Bloom Lake mine);
- SM Group, an engineering firm with 700 employees in Quebec (representing a secured creditor as CCAA applicant leading the proceedings);
- Bluberi (representing a group of creditors at the Superior Court, the Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada);
- Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec on its 2016 acquisition of a US$1.5 billion convertible share investment in Bombardier Transportation's newly-created holding company in UK;
- Canadian Bankers' Association as part of its intervention at the Supreme Court of Canada in the matter of Callidus v. the Queen (2018).
In addition to pleading frequently at the Superior Court of Quebec, sometimes at the Court of Appeal of Quebec, and once at the Supreme Court of Canada, Jocelyn has pleaded at the Tribunal de commerce de Nevers (as part of a French insolvency proceeding), the Newfoundland and Labrador Court of Appeal and Supreme Court (trial division) and the Court of Queen's Bench of New Brunswick. Jocelyn has also been involved as the lead lawyer for a receiver in a meditation in Zurich, Switzerland. He also has been involved in special mandates for the World Bank, including the preparation of reports on the insolvency regimes and creditors' rights regimes in Haiti, Burkina Faso and the member states of the Organisation pour l'Harmonisation en Afrique du Droit des Affaires (OHADA).
In 2019, Jocelyn was admitted as a member of the Insolvency Institute of Canada, Canada's premiere private sector insolvency organization which draws members from the most senior and experienced Canadian insolvency professionals. Jocelyn is also a member of the executive of the Quebec insolvency division of the Canadian Bar Association.
Jocelyn also holds a chartered professional accountant (CPA) designation, and his accounting and business background is appreciated by clients.
Jocelyn has been a course lecturer at the Desautels Faculty of Management of McGill University since 2002. He is the co-author of the bankruptcy and restructuring volume of the Collection de droit de l'École du Barreau du Québec, and has published numerous articles and given multiple presentations on subjects related to insolvency and restructuring.
Jocelyn is a devoted father of three children. He is greatly involved in coaching minor hockey and takes pride in developing children of various backgrounds in such role. He played for the varsity hockey team in his years at McGill University and also played professional hockey in France.
Jocelyn obtained both his B. Com.(honours in accounting) (2002) and his B.C.L./LL.B. (2006) from McGill University.
Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading lawyer: Insolvency and Financial Restructuring – Financial Restructuring
IFLR 1000 Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms
Highly Regarded: Restructuring & Insolvency
Best Lawyers in Canada
Leading Lawyer: Insolvency and Financial Restructuring Law