Jeremy Pleasant is a Partner in our Business Law Group in Toronto. Jeremy’s practice focuses on cross-border mergers and acquisitions, private equity transactions and corporate finance (debt and equity). He also provides advice to public company clients on corporate governance and ongoing securities law requirements, including continuous disclosure matters. Jeremy’s experience spans a variety of industries, including REITs, financial services, media and technology.
Jeremy was previously based in the Firm’s New York office, where he focused on Canada/U.S. cross-border M&A transactions and financings, providing Canadian corporate advice to clients acquiring assets or conducting business in Canada.
- Summit Industrial REIT in connection with its C$5.9 billion acquisition by a joint venture between GIC and Dream Industrial REIT
- Slate Asset Management L.P. in connection with its US$2.33 billion portfolio and platform acquisition from Annaly Capital Management
- Power Sustainable Lios in connection with its investment in Goodleaf Farms
- Jamieson Wellness in connection with its $300 million initial public offering and the $273 million secondary bought deal offering of its common shares by CCMP Capital Advisors, LP.
- Investment Management Corporation of Ontario in connection with its co-investment with Torquest Partners into VersaCold Logistics Services
- Mill Road Capital Management LLC in connection with the sale of PRT Growing Services Ltd.
- Slate Asset Management L.P. in connection with its sale of a minority non-voting interest to Goldman Sachs Asset Management’s Petershill Program
- Farmers Edge Inc. in connection with its $125 million initial public offering
- Fairfax Africa Holdings Corporation in connection with its strategic transaction with Helios Holdings Limited
- Griffon Corporation, as Canadian counsel, in connection with its US$200 million acquisition of ClosetMaid Corporation from Emerson Electric Co.
- Stelco Holdings Inc. in its $230 million initial public offering.
- Fairfax Africa Holdings Corporation in connection with its initial public offering and certain of its African investments.
- Slate Asset Management L.P. in connection with the formation and financing of multiple private equity funds, including Slate European Real Estate Limited Partnership I, Slate European Real Estate Limited Partnership II and Slate Canadian Real Estate Opportunity Fund I L.P
- Slate Office REIT’s $191 offering of subscription receipts to finance its acquisition of seven office properties; its $120 million offering of subscription receipts to finance its acquisition of three office properties and its $80 million offering of subscription receipts to finance its acquisition of a portfolio commercial properties from Fortis Properties Corporation.
- Slate Asset Management L.P. in its going-private acquisition of Huntingdon Capital Corp.
- The Empire Life Insurance Company’s initial public offering of $149.5 million of rate reset preferred shares.
Jeremy completed a three-month secondment with Slate Asset Management where he advised on various matters including securities, corporate governance and M&A.
Jeremy received his J.D. from the Schulich School of Law at Dalhousie University in 2012 and a B. Comm in Finance from Saint Mary’s University in 2009. While at the Schulich School of Law, Jeremy was on the Dean’s List, received numerous academic awards and prizes, including the Blakes Scholar Award, and served as the Vice President of the Dalhousie Black Law Students’ Association.
Jeremy was called to the Ontario bar in 2013. He is a member of the Law Society of Ontario, the Canadian Bar Association and the Ontario Bar Association.