Jeremy Pleasant is an associate in our Business Law Group in Toronto. Jeremy’s practice focusses on cross-border mergers and acquisitions and private equity transactions and corporate finance (debt and equity). He also provides advice to public company clients on corporate governance and ongoing securities law requirements, including continuous disclosure matters.
Jeremy was previously based in the Firm’s New York office, where he focused on Canada/U.S. cross-border M&A transactions and financings, providing Canadian corporate advice to both foreign clients acquiring assets or conducting business in Canada.
- Mill Road Capital Management LLC in connection with the sale of PRT Growing Services Ltd.
- Griffon Corporation, as Canadian counsel, in connection with its US$200 million acquisition of ClosetMaid Corporation from Emerson Electric Co.
- Jamieson Wellness in connection with its $300 million initial public offering and the $273 million secondary bought deal offering of its common shares by CCMP Capital Advisors, LP.
- Stelco Holdings Inc. in its $230 million initial public offering,
- Fairfax Africa in connection with its initial public offering and certain of its African investments.
- Slate Office REIT’s $191 offering of subscription receipts to finance its acquisition of seven office properties; its $120 million offering of subscription receipts to finance its acquisition of three office properties and its $80 million offering of subscription receipts to finance its acquisition of a portfolio commercial properties from Fortis Properties Corporation.
- Fairfax India Holdings Corporation in connection with its US$400 million secured term loan.
- The Empire Life Insurance Company’s initial public offering of $149.5 million of rate reset preferred shares.
- The Empire Life Insurance Company’s $200 million private placement of 3.383% Subordinated Debentures.
- The formation of Slate European Real Estate LP and it’s $49 million offering of subscription receipts to finance its acquisition of a portfolio of German retail properties.
- Slate Retail REIT’s $46.4 million right’s offering
Jeremy completed a three-month secondment with Slate Asset Management where he advised on various matters including securities, corporate governance and M&A.
Jeremy received his J.D. from the Schulich School of Law at Dalhousie University in 2012 and a B. Comm in Finance from Saint Mary’s University in 2009. While at the Schulich School of Law, Jeremy was on the Dean’s List, received numerous academic awards and prizes, including the Blakes Scholar Award, and served as the Vice President of the Dalhousie Black Law Students’ Association.
Jeremy was called to the Ontario bar in 2013. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, the Canadian Bar Association and the Ontario Bar Association.