Known for his fund formation expertise and effective negotiation style, Jamie is recognised as a talented and experienced advisor to Canadian and cross-border institutional investors.
Jamie Becker is a partner in McCarthy Tétrault’s Business Law Group, more specifically, the Private Equity, and Pension Funds Groups, based in the firm’s Toronto office. As an experienced professional in the private equity and investment funds space, Jamie’s practice focuses on advising sponsors in structuring and negotiating their private market funds and internal governance and economic arrangements. He also represents institutional investors and leading pension funds with stakes in private equity funds, hedge funds and other alternative investments, as well as advising them on their fund formation and investment objectives in North America and around the world.
With a reputation for focus and responsiveness, Jamie’s highly professional approach to client service makes him the go-to advisor for some of Canada’s biggest and most well-known pension funds; he regularly advises large clients on their multijurisdictional compliance needs and other aspects of their investment structures around the world. He further provides clients with advice in co-investments and secondary transactions to buy or sell limited partner interests in private equity funds.
Jamie is a thought leader and frequent author of industry updates and emerging opportunities for all manner of professionals working in private markets. His additional and extensive experience in private M&A, capital markets and general corporate affairs means he is able to speak to the bigger picture and broader trends affecting the corporate world.
Publications and Presentations
- Co-investments: continuation funds and other considerations, 2021
- Pros and cons of open-ended funds for LPs, 2021
- Open-ended funds: pros and cons for GPs, 2021
- Report: PE Pulse 2021
- Open-ended funds: a new way forward for private maker funds, 2021
- Fund sponsors are increasingly turning to the secondaries market for liquidity solutions and value enhancement, 2020
- Pre-signing commitments in co-investments: What to know before committing, 2020
- Evolving Together: Latest Trends in Co-Investments, 2019
- Side by Side: Navigating Co-Investments, 2017
- Launch of the Northleaf Essential Infrastructure Fund LP
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board in its C$1.75 billion acquisition of a 49% equity interest in a portfolio of renewable power assets in North America and Europe
- Northleaf Capital Partners and the organization, fund formation and fund-raising activities for Northleaf Capital Partners III
- Vertu Capital as the lead investor in the C$60 million minority recapitalization of Dejero Labs Inc.
- CBRE Caledon Capital Management with its fund formation for the National Employment Savings Trust pension scheme in the UK
- CPP Investments, as Canadian regulatory counsel, in its equity commitment to Renewable Power Capital Limited to fund the platform’s 50/50 joint venture with Benbros Solar S.L. to develop 14 solar energy projects in Spain
- CPP Investments, as Canadian regulatory counsel, in its €245 million equity commitment to Renewable Power Capital Limited to fund the platform’s first investment in a 171 MW portfolio of three onshore wind farms in Finland from OX2 AB
- Windsor Private Capital in the organization, fund formation and fund-raising activities for WPC Real Estate Opportunity Fund I LP, a private Equity fund focused on the acquisition of opportunistic and distressed real estate assets in the Greater Toronto and Golden Horseshoe regions of Ontario
Jamie has been listed by Chambers Canada in the “Up and Coming” category for Investment Funds: Fund Formation – Canada.
Jamie obtained his Juris Doctor from the University of Toronto in 2007 where he graduated as that year’s Silver Medalist and was called to the Ontario Bar in 2008. He holds a Bachelor of Arts in Economics, Honours with Distinction from Queen’s University.
Leading Lawyer: Investment Funds: Fund Formation - Canada
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Private Equity
Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A
Best Lawyers in Canada
Leading Lawyer: Private Funds Law