James is an energy industry veteran and a legal adviser with global insight. In a world of change, trust him to deliver the right outcome for long-term success
James Pasieka is counsel in our Calgary Business Law Group and is on the board of directors, chairman, or corporate secretary of several public and private companies. With deep-rooted experience in the province’s oil and gas industries, and its electricity sector, James is a transaction powerhouse, whether in corporate finance, venture capital or mergers and acquisitions.
Over a legal career spanning decades, and transactions negotiated or closed on six continents, James has advised domestic and international clients at every stage of a company’s life. This covers both private and public entities on their M&A and capital raising activities, from early-stage financing through to large asset or corporate transactions. Previous experience as a business executive and general counsel with several large oil and gas companies gives him the sort of knowledge clients need to understand not just the legal aspects of a deal, but its business priorities too.
James’ unique experience in the oil and gas sector has had him advise on key deals in Alberta’s oil patch and beyond, covering M&A, public debt sales and private placements. He has worked with:
- TORC Oil and Gas Ltd. in its business combination with Whitecap Resources Inc. valued at C$900 million, creating a new multi-billion dollar entity and a Canadian market leader in light oil production
- Pengrowth Energy Corporation in its arrangement with Cona Resources to sell all of Pengrowth’s outstanding common shares for C$740 million
- Surge Energy Inc. in acquiring Mount Bastion Oil and Gas Corp. for C$320 million in cash and stock
- Canadian Energy Solutions Corp. in its C$300 million senior notes offering
- Sinoenergy Investment in their acquisition of Long Run Exploration for C$740 million
- Legacy Oil and Gas in its C$1.53 billion disposition of high quality, light oil assets in a corporate transaction to Crescent Point
- Surge Energy Inc. in its C$430 million oil and gas asset sale to TORC Oil and Gas Ltd.
- Petrominerales as the seller, and Alvopetro Energy as the spinoff company, in its C$1.6 billion sale to Pacific Rubiales Energy by way of a plan of arrangement (Lexpert’s 2013 top oil and gas deal in Canada)
- Multiple companies in energy, tech, and small enterprise in start-up structuring advice and early-stage financings
- Advising many boards and special committees of boards in difficult and complex M&A transactions, restructurings, or in other special situations, including advising companies on strategic alternatives, and shareholder activists
In addition to his legal practice, James has taught law at the University of Calgary and international petroleum law in China. He received his BA (with distinction) and his LLB from the University of Manitoba. He is a member of the bars of Manitoba, Alberta and Saskatchewan.
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Corporate Mid-Market
Who's Who Legal: Energy
Leading Lawyer: Energy
Top Oil and Gas Deal in Canada
Top Foreign Outbound-Global Deal
Alberta Venture Magazine
Alberta’s 50 Most Influential People
Best Lawyers in Canada
Leading lawyer in the area of Natural Resources Law