Isabelle Vendette is a partner in our Litigation Group in Montréal. Her practice focuses on corporate commercial litigation and civil litigation, as well as on internal investigation and cybersecurity. She regularly pleads before the Superior Court, the Court of Appeal as well as administrative tribunals.
Her principal areas of expertise are class actions, investigations, injunctions, banking litigation, franchise litigation and contract disputes. She advises and represents financial institutions, telecommunication companies and other public and privately held corporations in complex cases and high-profile class actions. She has led litigation files in various fields, including consumer law, unfair competition, privacy, banking law, product liability, false or misleading advertising and in special remedies such as injunctions.
The following are examples of cases in which Isabelle has been involved:
- Defending a financial institution in class action involving data breach;
- Representing a telecommunications company before the Superior Court and the Court of Appeal in commercial cases alleging unfair competition;
- Defending financial institutions in class actions alleging misleading representations in the distribution of principal guaranteed notes and in class action regarding access to banking services for the cannabis industry;
- Advising clients in the context of data breach, including advising on disclosure and communications with regulators, business partners and customers;
- Defending companies operating online payment systems in a class action alleging breaches in relation to foreign exchange conversion and violation of the Consumer Protection Act;
- Defending several financial institutions before the Superior Court and the Court of Appeal in class actions challenging credit card practices;
- Conducting internal investigations in the context of data breach and other incidents;
- Defending a telecommunications company in a commercial dispute involving its distributors, before the Superior Court and the Court of Appeal;
- Defending an electricity supplier in an injunction relating to electric power transmission project;
- Representing a telecommunication company in an injunction relating to false or misleading advertising;
- Defending financial institutions in class action relating to non-sufficient funds fees and in class action in the context of car financing, and alleging violation of the Consumer Protection Act;
- Representing companies in discussions with regulatory bodies such as Health Canada, the Office de la protection du consommateur and the Competition Bureau;
- Defending a title insurance company in a litigation against notaries relating to mortgage refinancing;
- Representing bankruptcy trustees before the commercial division of the Superior Court in an action alleging wrongful conduct and in an action against a third party;
- Representing a financial institution in an intellectual property case and obtaining a safeguard order against opposing party;
- Acting for a transportation company in a commercial arbitration;
- Defending an oil and gas company in the context of a lawsuit against a distributor, before the Superior Court and the Court of Appeal;
- Defending a U.S. financial institution in a class action alleging deceptive acts in the context of the renewal of certificates of deposit; and
- Representing a U.S. financial institution in the context of Lehman Brothers’ bankruptcy.
Prior to joining McCarthy Tétrault, Isabelle practised commercial litigation at a leading international law firm in Boston. She also served as a law clerk to the Honourable Justice Jean-Louis Baudouin at the Quebec Court of Appeal and completed a secondment as senior counsel at a financial institution.
Isabelle is a regular speaker at conferences, where she presents on class actions, ESG litigation, consumer law and cybersecurity. She is also a contributing author to the fifth edition of Defending Class Actions in Canada, published by LexisNexis, and to articles on injunctions. Isabelle is on the board of La rue des Femmes, a non-profit organization that cares for women in a state of homelessness. She is a member of the Montreal Bar’s Court of Appeal liaison committee and of the Women in the Profession Committee of the Quebec Bar. Isabelle is also the president of the Business law section of the Canadian Bar Association, Québec division.
Isabelle is a member of Québec bar, Massachusetts bar and New York State bar. She received a Bachelor of Laws from the University of Montréal, a master’s degree in European and comparative law with distinction from the University of Oxford, and an LLM in American Law from Boston University.
The Legal 500 Canada
Leading Lawyer: Dispute Resolution - Quebec
Benchmark Litigation Canada
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Litigation - Corporate Commercial
Lexpert Special Edition: Litigation
Lexpert Special Edition: Technology & Health Sciences
Lexpert Rising Stars
Leading lawyer under the age of 40