Isabelle Vendette is a partner in our Litigation Group in Montréal. Her practice focuses on corporate commercial litigation and civil litigation, as well as on internal investigation and cybersecurity. She regularly pleads before the Superior Court, the Court of Appeal as well as administrative tribunals.
Her principal areas of expertise are class actions, investigations, injunctions, banking litigation, franchise litigation and contract disputes. She advises and represents financial institutions, telecommunication companies and other public and privately held corporations in complex cases and high-profile class actions. She has led litigation files in various fields, including consumer law, unfair competition, banking law, product liability, false or misleading advertising and in special remedies such as injunctions.
The following are examples of cases in which Isabelle has been involved:
- Defending a financial institution in class action involving data breach;
- Defending a financial institution in a class action alleging misleading representations in the distribution of principal guaranteed notes;
- Advising clients in the context of data breach, including advising on disclosure and communications with regulators, business partners and customers;
- Defending companies operating online payment systems in a class action alleging breaches in relation to foreign exchange conversion and violation of the Consumer Protection Act;
- Defending several financial institutions before the Superior Court and the Court of Appeal in class actions challenging credit card practices;
- Conducting internal investigations in the context of data breach and other incidents;
- Defending a telecommunications company in a commercial dispute involving its distributors, before the Superior Court and the Court of Appeal;
- Defending an electricity supplier in an injunction relating to electric power transmission project;
- Representing a telecommunication company in an injunction relating to false or misleading advertising;
- Defending a financial institution in a class action relating to non-sufficient funds fees and alleging violation of the Consumer Protection Act;
- Representing companies in discussions with regulatory bodies such as Health Canada, the Office de la protection du consommateur and the Competition Bureau;
- Defending a title insurance company in a litigation against notaries relating to mortgage refinancing;
- Representing bankruptcy trustees before the commercial division of the Superior Court in an action alleging wrongful conduct and in an action against a third party;
- Representing a financial institution in an intellectual property case and obtaining a safeguard order against opposing party;
- Representing a financial institution in an injunction relating to banking law;
- Acting for a transportation company in a commercial arbitration;
- Defending an oil and gas company in the context of a lawsuit against a distributor, before the Superior Court and the Court of Appeal;
- Representing a lending and leasing company in a commercial litigation against a supplier
- Defending a U.S. financial institution in a class action alleging deceptive acts in the context of the renewal of certificates of deposit; and
- Representing a U.S. financial institution in the context of Lehman Brothers’ bankruptcy.
Isabelle completed a secondment as senior counsel at a financial institution. Prior to joining McCarthy Tétrault, Isabelle practised commercial litigation at a leading international law firm in Boston. She also served as a law clerk to the Honourable Justice Jean-Louis Baudouin at the Québec Court of Appeal.
Isabelle is a regular speaker at conferences, where she presents on class actions, consumer law and cybersecurity. She is also a contributing author to the fifth edition of Defending Class Actions in Canada and to articles on injunction. Isabelle has taught civil responsibility at the Quebec Bar School. She is a member of the Recruitment Committee of the firm.
Isabelle is a member of Québec bar, Massachusetts bar and New York State bar. She received a Bachelor of Laws from the University of Montréal, a master’s degree in European and comparative law with distinction from the University of Oxford, and an LLM in American Law from Boston University.
The Legal 500 Canada
Leading Individual: Dispute Resolution - Quebec
Benchmark Litigation Canada
Lexpert Special Edition: Litigation
Lexpert Rising Stars
Leading lawyer under the age of 40