Hugo is a trusted partner and strategic advisor, effectively guiding clients through the complexities of restructuring and transformation
Hugo is a partner in the Bankruptcy & Restructuring group in Montréal. His practice focuses on restructuring, bankruptcy, and insolvency law and also encompasses banking, commercial and securities litigation, including extraordinary remedies and shareholders’ rights disputes.
Combining industry experience, knowledge, and deep connections across Montréal and Québec City, Hugo has a notable reputation among clients in the Québec market. He understands the economic realities they face, takes the time to understand their unique goals, and is adaptive and creative in delivering meaningful solutions and effective litigation strategies.
Recognized as a leading lawyer in Québec in bankruptcy and insolvency matters, Hugo regularly acts for various financial institutions, trustees, monitors, receivers, corporations, and shareholders. He regularly represents his clients before all levels of courts in Québec as well as before the Federal Court.
His experience includes:
- Acting for Raymond Chabot Administrateur Provisoire, the provisional administrator to certain assets of Dominic Lacroix pursuant to an Act respecting the Regulation of the Financial Sector. This was the first time a provisional administrator was able to seize cryptocurrency (Bitcoin) in the context of its mandate.
- Acting for Business Development Bank of Canada and Investissement Québec in the matter of the receivership of Roland Boulanger of Cie, Ltée.
- Acting for Investissement Québec in the matter of the receivership of Enviroplast Inc.
- Acting for National Bank of Canada in the receivership of Ferme TiCanada Inc.
- Acted for PricewaterhouseCoopers in its capacity as monitor in the matter of the plan of compromise and arrangement of Azzimov Inc.
- Acted for Ernst & Young in its capacity as receiver in the matter of the receivership of Terra Nova Transport Ltd.
- Acting for Business Development Bank of Canada in the matter of the proposal of Acier Orford Inc. and of its related company, Vectigalis Inc.
- Acted for the Business Development Bank of Canada in the receivership of Atelier Ferland Inc.
- Acted for Ernst & Young in its capacity as receiver in the matter of the receivership of Northern Star Mining Inc.
- Acted for a shareholder in the context of a dispute concerning the development of a real estate project located at 1420 Mont-Royal Boulevard, one of the most prestigious condominium projects in Montréal.
He completed in 2010 a master’s degree in law at McGill University for which he was awarded the Aubrey-Senez Bursary. His Master’s project dealt with the incorporation of Norwich orders in Québec judicial law. Hugo also teaches the course on Priorities and Hypothecs at the Ecole du Barreau du Québec.
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Litigation - Corporate Commercial; Insolvency & Financial Restructuring - Insolvency Litigation
Lexpert Special Edition: Litigation
Benchmark Litigation Canada
Benchmark Litigation Canada
40 & Under