With a clear sense for what can make or break a deal, Heidi’s practical approach to solving challenges is what clients value most.
Heidi Gordon is a partner in our Business Law Group in Toronto. Her core practice involves advising on public and private mergers & acquisitions, capital markets and private equity transactions. Her experience includes cross-border and domestic transactions of all sizes, in a wide range of industries. Heidi also regularly advises on general corporate, disclosure and corporate governance matters.
In 2015, Heidi completed a six-month secondment with the Office of Mergers & Acquisitions at the Ontario Securities Commission. In this role she participated in the oversight of M&A transactions and other matters involving public companies, and worked on policy projects in the areas of M&A and shareholder rights, including the changes to Canada’s take-over bid regime, which came into effect in 2016. This unique experience allowed Heidi to gain an enhanced understanding of the perspective of the regulator and gain invaluable insight into how to achieve success for her clients.
Some of her recent transactions include:
- Slate Asset Management L.P. in connection with its sale of a minority non-voting interest to Goldman Sachs Asset Management’s Petershill Program
- Summit Industrial Income REIT on the internalization of its asset and property management functions
- Echelon Financial Holdings Inc. on its sale of Echelon Insurance to CAA Club Group
- Constellation Software Inc. on its acquisition of a number of Canadian-based technology companies
- Vista Equity Partners on its acquisition of a number of Canadian-based technology companies
- Slate Retail REIT on its going-private acquisition of Slate U.S. Opportunity (No.3) Realty Trust
- Bluesky Hotels and Resorts on its going-private acquisition of InnVest REIT
- Northleaf Capital Partners on its primary, secondary and co-investments in various domestic and foreign investment funds, and on its creation of Northleaf Venture Catalyst Fund II (which forms part of the Government of Canada’s Venture Capital Catalyst Initiative)
- Constellation Software Inc., Jamieson Wellness Inc., Slate Office REIT, Slate Retail REIT and Summit Industrial Income REIT on a variety of capital markets transactions including, issuer bids, rights offerings of debentures, secondary offerings, equity offerings and subscription receipt offerings
Heidi is on the Toronto Steering Committee of Women in Capital Markets, and she is the Co-Chair of its Membership Committee. In addition, Heidi is the Chief Editor of the McCarthy Tétrault M&A blog, Canadian M&A Perspectives, and frequently speaks and writes on M&A, corporate governance and related topics, including teaching a seminar on public M&A for the advanced securities law programs at the University of Windsor and Western University, and serving on the faculty of The Directors College, Canada’s first university accredited corporate director development program.
Heidi received a BA (Hons.) in Philosophy and Ethics from Western University in 2005, and a JD from Queen’s University in 2010. While at Queen’s, she was on the Dean's List, received the David Sabbath Prize in Corporate Finance, received the Law Society of Upper Canada Award for Academic Excellence and was an associate editor of the Queen’s Law Journal.