With a clear sense for what can make or break a deal, Heidi’s practical approach to solving challenges is what clients value most.
Heidi Gordon is a partner in our Business Law Group in Toronto, and is the Co-Lead of our Tech M&A Group. Her core practice involves advising on public and private mergers & acquisitions, capital markets and private equity transactions. Her experience includes cross-border and domestic transactions of all sizes, in a wide range of industries. Heidi also regularly advises on general corporate, disclosure and corporate governance matters.
Heidi has completed secondments at each of, TSX-listed Constellation Software, and the Office of Mergers & Acquisitions at the Ontario Securities Commission. While at Constellation Software, she led the acquisition of a number of software companies. In her role at the Ontario Securities Commission, she participated in the oversight of M&A transactions and other matters involving public companies, and worked on policy projects in the areas of M&A and shareholder rights, including the most recent overhaul to Canada’s take-over bid regime. These unique experiences allowed Heidi to gain invaluable insight into how to achieve success for her clients.
Some of her recent transactions include representing:
- TSX-listed Slate Office REIT on its proposed acquisition of Yew Grove REIT (an Irish public entity, dual listed on Euronext Dublin (Ireland) and the AIM market of the LSE), for C$254.8 million, and related public offering of subscription receipts and convertible debentures
- Loral Space & Communications on its agreement with PSP Investments and Telesat Canada to combine Loral and Telesat into a new Canadian public company
- TD Securities, BMO Capital Markets and the underwriting syndicate in connection with the IPO of learning management system technology company, D2L Inc.
- TSX-listed Slate Grocery REIT on its acquisition of a US$390 million grocery-anchored portfolio and related public offering of subscription receipts
- TSX-listed Constellation Software on its acquisition of Netherlands-based vertical market software provider, Topicus.com B.V. and the related spin-out by Constellation of its Total Specific Solutions operating group as a new public company listed on the TSX-V
- Operating groups of Constellation Software on their acquisitions of a number of privately-held software companies
- Canadian, US and European-based private equity firms on their acquisitions of a number of privately-held Canadian companies in a variety of different industries
- Constellation Software Inc., Topicus.com Inc., Slate Office REIT, Slate Grocery REIT and Summit Industrial Income REIT on public company governance and disclosure matters, as well as a variety of capital markets transactions including, issuer bids, rights offerings of debentures, secondary offerings, at-the-market programs, equity offerings, subscription receipt offerings and debt offerings (including green bonds)
Heidi frequently speaks and writes on M&A, corporate governance and related topics, including teaching a seminar on public M&A for the advanced securities law programs at the University of Windsor and Western University, and serving on the faculty of The Directors College, Canada’s first university accredited corporate director development program.
Heidi received a BA (Hons.) in Philosophy and Ethics from Western University in 2005, and a JD from Queen’s University in 2010. While at Queen’s, she was on the Dean's List, received the David Sabbath Prize in Corporate Finance, received the Law Society of Ontario Award for Academic Excellence and was an associate editor of the Queen’s Law Journal.
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Mergers & Acquisitions, Private Equity
Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A