Thoughtful and incisive, Gurvir takes a personable approach as he provides efficient and creative solutions to achieve great client outcomes.
Gurvir is an associate in the Business Law Group in Toronto. He maintains a general corporate and commercial practice, with an emphasis on capital markets transactions, including public offerings and private placements, mergers and acquisitions (including in the context of CCAA proceedings), and matters relating to corporate governance.
Gurvir’s representative experience includes advising:
- Hydro One in connection with various matters relating to board governance, corporate law, and securities law, including the corporation’s 2023 Annual General Meeting
- OMERS Realty Corporation in its private placement of multiple series of unsecured debentures, including its first “Green Bonds” issuance under Oxford Properties Group’s Green Financing Framework
- CIBC World Markets and the syndicate of agents in connection to the initial public offering of trust units by Padlock Partners UK Fund III
- CIBC World Markets in connection to multiple private placements by Clear Sky Capital
- SNDL Inc. in relation to transactions involving CCAA proceedings, including in its acquisition of Zenabis and expansion of its retail network through Suprette
- Infrastructure Ontario on multiple projects, including the Trillium Health M-Site Redevelopment Project in Mississauga, Ontario and the South Niagara Hospital P3 DBFM project
In 2023, Gurvir completed a five-month, full-time client placement (secondment) with Hydro One, a public company listed on the TSX and Ontario’s largest electricity transmission and distribution service provider, where he advised the Corporate Secretariat and General Counsel on a variety of governance and corporate matters.
In complement to his general corporate and commercial practice, Gurvir is an integral member of the firm’s Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) and Sustainability Strategic Issues Group. Gurvir works to integrate McCarthy Tétrault’s market-leading expertise from across the firm to serve clients’ ESG-related needs. He also contributes to McCarthy Tétrault’s Canadian Securities Regulatory Monitor, frequently writing about domestic and international ESG developments such as climate-related disclosures.
A dedicated contributor to the legal and broader community, Gurvir is a director of the South Asian Bar Association of Toronto (SABA Toronto), Canada’s largest legal diversity organization. He also serves as a member of the Law Society of Ontario’s Equity Advisory Group, which assists the LSO’s Equity and Indigenous Affairs Committee/Comité sur l'équité et les affaires autochtones in the development of policy options for the promotion of equity and diversity in Ontario’s legal profession.
Gurvir received his law degree from the University of Toronto, where he was a Rotman OnBoard Fellow with the Governing Council of the University of Toronto. Gurvir received a Student Recognition Award from SABA Toronto for his leadership at the University of Toronto, including as a member of the University Affairs Board, as Chair of the South Asian Law Students’ Association, and as an Executive of Toronto’s chapter of Pro Bono Students Canada. Prior to law school, Gurvir received his Bachelor of Arts in International Relations (Class 1 Distinction) from the University of British Columbia.
Gurvir joined the Business Law Group as an associate after completing his articles with the firm. As a summer law student with McCarthy Tétrault, Gurvir completed a secondment to Toronto-Dominion Bank, where he assisted the bank’s legal team on a variety of regulatory, dispute, and corporate mandates. Gurvir has also worked for the Canadian Legal Information Institute (CanLII) and volunteered as a law student with the Law Students Legal Advice Program in Vancouver, B.C.
Gurvir was called to the Ontario bar in 2021. He is a member of the Law Society of Ontario, the Canadian Bar Association, the Ontario Bar Association, and SABA Toronto.