Grant Buchanan is counsel in our Business Law Group in Toronto.
He is an experienced communications lawyer who has focused his practice on broadcast and telecom regulation and Copyright Board work. Grant has a broad understanding of the communications industry, related agreements and the framework for broadcast and telecom regulation and financing.
He was with WIC Western International Communications Ltd. for 12 years, primarily as Vice-President, Corporate and Regulatory Affairs. Grant is well-known and highly respected in the communications industry. Prior to his work at WIC, he was with The Bank of Nova Scotia for seven years.
Grant’s experience includes:
- counsel to the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation in the licence renewal of its English- and French-language networks and other matters;
- counsel to BCE Inc. in its acquisition of Manitoba Telecom Services Inc. and of Astral Media Inc., of CTV globemedia Inc. and other regulatory matters;
- counsel to Goldman Sachs in its investment with CanWest Global for the acquisition of Alliance Atlantis Communications Inc. and in Goldman Sachs’ subsequent sale of its interest to Shaw to Communications Inc.;
- counsel to Stingray Digital Group Inc. in its initial public offering, its acquisition of Newfoundland Capital Corporation, its acquisition of other media properties and in various regulatory proceedings;
- counsel to Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment with respect to its sale to a corporation jointly controlled by BCE Inc. and Rogers Communications Inc.;
- counsel to High Fidelity Inc. in respect of its acquisition by Blue Ant Media Inc.;
- counsel to Fusion Telecommunications International Inc. in its acquisition of the cloud and business services unit of Birch Communications;
- counsel to Blue Ant Media Inc. in respect of its acquisition of Glassbox Television Inc. and other regulatory matters;
- counsel to numerous non-Canadian broadcasters, including the PRC’s national broadcaster (CCTV), Televisa, RAI, BBC, Phoenix and others in their successful bids for entry into Canada;
- counsel to Ontario Ministry of Culture and Ontario Media Development Corporation in CRTC’s New Media and other proceedings;
- counsel to Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc. with respect to its investment in Canadian broadcasting licensees;
- counsel to Directors Guild of Canada in numerous regulatory proceedings;
- President of Canadian Broadcasters Rights Agency Inc., a copyright collective since 1991;
- counsel to The Score Television Network Inc. in respect of its sale to Rogers Media Inc. and numerous regulatory proceedings;
- counsel to Saudi Communications Commission in establishing a new telecom regulatory regime in Saudi Arabia;
- counsel to icebergmedia.com in the Copyright Board’s Internet proceeding;
- counsel to Sirius Canada Inc. in a consolidated rate-setting case before the Copyright Board;
- counsel to various radio broadcasters, including Aboriginal Voices Radio Inc., Standard Radio Inc., Astral Media Radio, Ryerson Radio Inc., Bayshore Broadcasting Corp., Intercity Broadcasting Network and Newcap Radio in connection with regulatory applications and filings;
- counsel to Glassbox Television Inc. regarding its application for new licences and other CRTC proceedings, including its acquisition of travel + escape from CTV;
- counsel to Craig Media with respect to a successful application for Toronto conventional television licence and subsequent sale to CHUM Limited;
- counsel to Vision TV in connection with its licence renewal, rate increase applications, various regulatory issues and its sale to ZoomerMedia Limited;
- counsel to Ledcor Industries Limited with respect to various fibre issues;
- counsel to World Wrestling Entertainment regarding regulatory matters;
- counsel to Pelmorex Communications Inc. in connection with various regulatory proceedings;
- counsel to Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. and Sirius Canada Inc. in connection with the negotiation of Shareholders’ and Licensing agreements and the preparation of the CRTC application for the licensing of satellite radio in Canada.
- counsel to Ryerson University with respect to underground cabling, Ryerson Law School and other matters.
- counsel to a consortium of Ontario universities with respect to potential CRTC registrations;
- counsel to Nextwave Broadband Inc. with respect to the sale of its spectrum licences;
- national Coordinator of the McCarthy Tétrault & Martin Family Initiative Mentorship Program for Indigenous Students. A first of its kind in Canada, the program links McCarthy Tétrault lawyers and other personnel as mentors with Indigenous students across Canada in Grades 8 through 12. We also partner with Indigenous leaders and education authorities to enhance Indigenous education in Canada.
Grant is listed in the current editions of Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business and Chambers Canada as a leading lawyer in the area of telecommunications and broadcasting. He is recognized as a leading lawyer in the area of telecommunications, media and technology in Who's Who Legal: Canada, and as a leading lawyer in the area of technology, media and telecoms in The Legal 500 – Canada. He is also listed in the current editions of the Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, a guide to the leading law firms and practitioners in Canada, as a leading lawyer in the area of telecommunications. Grant received the 2015 Lexology Client Choice Award for his outstanding telecommunications work in Ontario and was nominated as a “stand-out lawyer” in Acritas Stars.
Grant received his Licence ès Lettres from La Sorbonne in 1974, and his LLB from the University of Western Ontario in 1978. He was called to the Ontario bar in 1980.
Grant is fluent in English and French and has a working knowledge of Spanish.
Leading Lawyer - Telecommunications & Broadcasting
Who's Who Legal: Canada
Leading Lawyer - Telecommunications, Media & Technology
Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada
Leading Lawyer - Telecommunications
Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer - Telecommunications
2015 Lexology Client Choice Award
Outstanding Telecommunications Work in Ontario
Euromoney Guide to the World’s Leading Media Lawyers
Renowned speaker in Global Operations