Pragmatic and solutions-oriented, Gordon is relied on by enterprises, start-ups and entrepreneurs to guide transactions, get things done, meet milestones and help build their businesses.
Gordon is a partner in our Calgary office. His practice focuses on corporate finance and securities, mergers and acquisitions (M&A), corporate governance and general corporate matters.
Gordon acts for both issuers and dealers in public and private, domestic and cross-border, debt and equity corporate finance transactions. He also acts for vendors and purchasers in public and private M&A transactions and has represented clients in many large complex multi-jurisdiction transactions.
A significant portion of Gordon’s practice focuses on start-up companies, particularly in the technology, cannabis, psychedelics, clean technology, agriculture and oil and gas sectors, relating to the founding, capitalization, and value creation and maximization strategies of such businesses.
Gordon has extensive board experience in a variety of contexts. He also routinely acts as corporate secretary for public and private companies in a variety of industry sectors.
Recent transactions Gordon has been involved in include:
- Athennian in its USD $15 million Series A-1 and A-2 financings
- VEERUM Inc. in connection with its $7.4 million Series B financing
- TORC Oil & Gas Ltd. in connection with its C$900 million acquisition by Whitecap Resources Inc.
- Project Recapture Inc. in its SAFE note financing
- Pengrowth Energy Corporation in connection with its strategic alternatives process and C$740 million sale to Cona Resources Ltd.
- Mackie Research Capital Corporation in connection with Sugarbud Craft Growers prospectus offering of secured convertible debentures
- Vivametrica Ltd. in its acquisition by Sprout Wellness Solutions Inc.
- Harvard Energy in connection with it's acquisition of Nova Star Oil and Gas Inc.
- Varigate Technologies Inc. in connection with it acquisition of Canadian Casing Accessories Inc.
- FYi Doctors in connection with various optometry acquisitions
- 420 Premium Market, in its C$110 million sale to Tilray Inc.
- Harvard Energy in connection with its acquisition of an interest in the Weyburn Unit from i3 Energy
- Whipcord Corp. in its initial financing and acquisition of First Pass Technology
- Foundation Automotive Corp. in its financings and dealership acquisitions
- Global Ag Risk Solutions in its secondary share sale to SCOR and Willis Towers Watson
- Spartan Energy Corp. in connection with its sale to Vermilion Energy Inc. for C$1.4 billion
- Pure Technologies Ltd. in connection with its sale to Xylem Inc. for C$509 million
- Red River Oil Inc. in connection with its sale to Vermilion Energy Inc. for C$91 million
- A syndicate of underwriters in connection with Whitecap Resources Inc.’s C$332-million bought deal subscription receipt financing
- CES Energy Solutions Corp. in connection with its C$300-million term note financing and refinancing of existing notes
- Shell Canada in connection with its sale of oil sands interests to Canadian Natural Resources Ltd. for C$11.1 billion
- Petrotal Ltd. in its reverse take-over of Sterling Resources Ltd. and concurrent financing and asset acquisition from Gran Tierra Energy Inc.
- A syndicate of underwriters in connection with EPCOR’s C$400-million MTN offering
- The re-domiciliation of Octant Energy Corp. to the Bailiwick of Jersey
- Top-Co Holdings Inc. in its acquisition by Rubicon Oilfield International
- A syndicate of underwriters in connection with Gran Tierra’s cross-border US$130-million common share offering
- Spectra Energy Corp. in the sale of its natural gas liquids business in Western Canada to Plains Midstream Canada ULC for C$200 million
- Canadian Energy Services & Technology Corp. in its acquisition of Catalyst Oilfield Services, LLC
- A syndicate of underwriters in connection with Gran Tierra’s cross-border US$173-million subscription receipt offering
- Point Loma Resources Ltd. in its reverse take-over of First Mountain Exploration Inc. and concurrent financing and asset acquisition from Madalena Energy Inc.
- International Paper Co. in connection with its US$2.2-billion acquisition of Weyerhaeuser Co.’s fluff pulp business
- Union Gas Ltd. in connection with its C$500-million offering of unsecured medium-term notes
- Canadian Energy Services & Technology Corp. in its C$92-million bought deal equity financing
- InstarAGF Essential Infrastructure Fund in connection with its C$75-million investment in the private mid-stream company Steel Reef Infrastructure Corp.
- A syndicate of underwriters in connection with Gran Tierra’s cross-border US$115-million convertible note offering
- Legacy Oil + Gas Inc. in its C$1.53-billion acquisition by Crescent Point Energy
- Canadian Energy Services & Technology Corp. in its acquisition of Sialco Materials Ltd., a private specialty chemicals manufacturing company
- The Special Committee of the Board of Directors of Amica Mature Lifestyles Inc. in its C$578-million acquisition by BayBridge Seniors Housing Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan Board
- Rifle Shot Oil Corp. in its C$100-million committed capital financing by ARC Financial Corp.
- CIBC World Markets Inc. and syndicate in connection with Husky Energy Inc.’s C$750-million public offering of unsecured notes
- CIBC World Markets Inc. and syndicate in connection with ENMAX Corp.’s private C$200-million offering of unsecured debentures
- TD Securities Inc., Scotia Capital Inc., RBC Capital Markets and syndicates in connection with Husky Energy Inc.’s C$250-million public offering of cumulative rate reset preferred shares in December 2014, C$200-million public offering of cumulative rate reset preferred shares in March 2015 and C$150-million public offering of cumulative rate reset preferred shares in June 2015
- Hyperion Exploration Corp. in its C$32-million acquisition by Tri-Win International Investment Group Inc.
- Macquarie Capital Markets and syndicate in connection with Toro Oil & Gas Ltd.’s C$15-million public offering of common shares and concurrent C$5-million private placement of flow-through shares
- Canadian Energy Services & Technology Corp. in its C$75-million bought deal equity financing and concurrent C$75-million bought deal high-yield debt financing
- URS Corp. in its C$1.5-billion acquisition of Flint Energy Services Ltd.
- Fording Canadian Coal Trust in its C$14-billion acquisition by Teck Cominco
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board in its C$170-million investment in TORC Oil & Gas Ltd.
- Canada Pension Plan Investment Board in its equity financing of Teine Energy Ltd.
- China Investment Corp. in its C$435-million investment in Penn West Energy Trust and C$817-million contribution to the establishment of a joint venture oil sands development
- Korea Investment Corp. in its C$100-million investment in Osum Oil Sands Corp.
- Korea Investment Corp. in its C$100-million investment in Laricina Energy Ltd.
- Kanata Energy Group Ltd. in its establishment and committed capital financing by ARC Financial Corp., Ontario Teachers, Pension Plan Board and Energy Spectrum of C$335 million
- Investment Technology Group, Inc. in its C$38.5-million acquisition of a private independent research brokerage firm
- A syndicate of agents in connection with various medium-term note offerings undertaking by AltaLink, L.P.
- Mongolia Minerals Corp. in connection with the acquisition of various mining licences in Mongolia and related financing and commercial matters
- Morro Bay Resources Ltd. in connection with its qualifying transaction acquisition of rights under an option agreement to acquire certain mineral interests in Mexico and concurrent brokered private placement financing
- Petro Uno Resources Ltd. in its private placement of special warrants and subsequent qualification of underlying common shares by prospectus
- Canaccord Capital Corp. and syndicate in connection with their acting as agents or underwriters for certain TSX Venture Exchange-listed issuers in private placement and public offering financings
- Angle Energy Inc. in its short-form equity public offering and simultaneous take-over bid of Stonefire Energy Corp.
- Pristine Power Inc. in its short-form equity public offering
- Renegade Petroleum Ltd. in various equity financings and acquisitions of certain oil and gas assets and private oil and gas companies
- Tuscany International Drilling Ltd. in its special warrant financing in connection with a subsequent going-public reverse take-over transaction
Leading Lawyer: Corporate/Commercial - Alberta
The Canadian Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Corporate Mid-Market; and Private Equity
Lexpert Rising Stars
Leading Lawyers under 40
Lexpert Special Edition: Agribusiness and Cannabis
Lexpert Special Edition: Energy
IFLR 1000 Lending Lawyer Directory
Highly Regarded Lawyer