Gordon Baird is a partner in our Business Law Group in Toronto. His practice is focused on lending and secured transactions.
Gordon regularly acts for bank syndicates, non-bank lenders and borrowers on domestic, cross-border and international loan transactions with a particular focus on the power, financial services infrastructure and media/telecommunications sectors.
Recent transactions include:
- acting for the bondholders on a $350 million partially delayed purchase bond financing of an Ontario hydro-electric power facility
- acting for the bondholders on a $1.08 billion financing in respect of the acquisition of an interest in three hydro-electric facilities in northern British Columbia
- acting for a central clearing party on its liquidity facilities
- acting for a Canadian bank in providing net asset value based credit facilities to Canadian and Luxembourg based private equity funds
- acting for banks on subscription facilities/capital call facilities for private equity funds
- acting for bondholders on a $300 million financing of a stream of "off-coal" payments made to an Alberta electricity generator by the Government of Alberta
- acting for a Canadian bank on margin loan facilities, secured by significant blocks of stock of public companies
- acting for the bondholders on a construction financing of a BC run of river hydro electric facility
- establishing a multi-billion dollar syndicated repo facility to serve as a liquidity facility for a central clearing party
- acting for the providers of the margin funding facility in connection with the restructuring of the Canadian non-bank asset-backed commercial paper market.
Gordon is the chair of the McCarthy Tétrault National Pro Bono Committee and a member of the boards of directors of LEAP | Pecaut Centre for Social Impact and Opera in Concert.
Gordon received his BA (Economics) from Trinity College at the University of Toronto in 1986, and his LLB from the University of Toronto in 1989.
Leading Lawyer: Banking & Finance - Canada
Leading Lawyer: Banking & Finance
IFLR 1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms
Highly Regarded: Financial Services Regulatory, Banking, Financial Services
Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada
Leading lawyer: Banking & Financial Institutions and Project Finance
Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A
Lexpert Guide to US/Canada Cross-Border Lawyers in Canada
A leading cross-border lawyer
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Asset Equipment Finance/Leasing; Asset-Based Lending; Banking & Financial Institutions; Project Finance
Lexpert Special Edition: Energy
Who's Who Legal: Canada
Leading Lawyer: Banking & Project Finance
Best Lawyers in Canada
Leading lawyer in the areas of Banking and Finance and Project Finance Law