Gordon Baird is a partner in our Business Law Group in Toronto. His practice is focused on lending and secured transactions.
Gordon regularly acts for bank syndicates, non-bank lenders and borrowers on domestic, cross-border and international loan transactions with a particular focus on the power, hospitality, retail and media/telecommunications sectors.
Recent transactions include:
- acting for the bondholders on a $400 million bond financing of an Ontario wind power facility
- acting for the bondholders on a construction financing of a BC run of river hydro electric facility
- establishing a multi-billion dollar syndicated repo facility to serve as a liquidity facility for a central clearing party
- acting for the lenders on a $1.7 billion refinancing of a telecommunications company
- acting for the borrower on a $3 billion acquisition financing of a media company
- acting for a hospitality company on the refinancing of its global credit facilities
- acting for the providers of the margin funding facility in connection with the restructuring of the Canadian non-bank asset-backed commercial paper market.
Gordon is the chair of the McCarthy Tétrault National Pro Bono Committee and a member of the boards of directors of Pro Bono Law Ontario and Connect Legal, a pro bono organization offering assistance to immigrant entrepreneurs, and Opera in Concert.
Gordon received his BA (Economics) from Trinity College at the University of Toronto in 1986, and his LLB from the University of Toronto in 1989.
Lexpert Guide to US/Canada Cross-Border Lawyers in Canada
A leading cross-border lawyer
Leading Lawyer: Banking & Finance - Canada
Leading Lawyer: Banking & Finance
Who's Who Legal: Canada
Leading Lawyer: Banking & Project Finance
Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Most Frequently Recommended: Banking & Financial Institutions; Consistently Recommended: Project Finance, Asset-Based Lending; Repeatedly Recommended: Asset Equipment Finance/Leasing
Best Lawyers in Canada
Leading lawyer in the areas of Banking and Finance and Project Finance Law
IFLR 1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms
Highly Regarded: Financial Services Regulatory