Godyne Sibay is McCarthy Tétrault's Regional Managing Partner for Ontario and is a partner in the firm's Real Property, Project Development and Infrastructure Groups in Toronto. She has extensive experience in project development, public-private partnerships, public procurement and real estate including acquisition, disposition, leasing and construction matters.
- legal advisor to Metrolinx on the redevelopment of the Port Credit GO Station, a designated mobility hub in Metrolinx’s regional transportation plan, The Big Move, including new station infrastructure
- lead counsel to Infrastructure Ontario and St. Michael’s Hospital on the DBF new patient care tower
- lead counsel to Infrastructure Ontario and Joseph Brant Memorial Hospital on the DBF new hospital addition
- co-lead counsel to Infrastructure Ontario and The Sheridan College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning on their Phase 2 development of the Hazel McCallion Campus in Mississauga
- co-lead counsel to Infrastructure Ontario and Seneca College on their new King Street Campus expansion
- lead counsel for Wilfrid Laurier University in respect of the acquisition and disposition of properties in Brantford including Market Square and the joint development with YMCA
- lead counsel to The Corporation of Roy Thomson Hall and Massey Hall on the redevelopment and expansion of Massey Hall, the iconic Toronto landmark and a National Historic Site of Canada
- lead counsel for the vendor on the sale of Agincourt Mall, Toronto
- counsel for the anchor tenant of approximately 420,000 square feet of the Bay Adelaide East office tower being the second office tower of Bay Adelaide Centre developed by Brookfield Office Properties Inc. in the downtown Toronto financial core - this new 980,000 square foot office tower is scheduled to be completed in late 2015 and designed to achieve LEED (CS) Platinum certification (Winner of the 2013 NAIOP Real Estate Excellence Award for the Office Lease of the Year)
- counsel for the anchor tenant of the new 26 storey office tower in downtown Montréal, being developed by Cadillac Fairview Corporation Limited and scheduled to be completed in 2015 - it will be the first major privately funded office tower to be built in Montréal since the early 1990s and will be built to LEED Platinum certification
- advised PPP Canada on a review of British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario federal project agreements for development of a best practice guide for federal PPP project agreements
- co-Lead counsel on the Toronto 2015 Pan Am Games Athletes Village PPP DBFM project for Infrastructure Ontario and the Toronto 2015 Pan Am Games Bid Corporation
- co-Lead counsel on the following closed PPP transactions for eight hospital Build Finance projects and the following DBFM projects: the Sault Area Hospital; the Bridgepoint Hospital; the Forensic Science and Coroner’s complex; the Women’s College Hospital and the Ontario Provincial Police Modernization Project for Infrastructure Ontario and its respective co-sponsors
- lead counsel for Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd. in its procurement through a Competitive Dialogue process of the KIA Training Ground and the KIA Toronto FC Academy located in Downsview Park in Toronto, Ontario
- lead counsel for Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd. in its role as project developer under a project agreement with the City of Toronto for BMO Field and its 2015 expansion, a 20,000-seat soccer stadium and home for the Toronto FC, and the RFQ/RFP process for the selection and engagement of a design-build contractor and management arrangements of the new facility with the City of Toronto
- lead counsel for Maple Leafs Sports & Entertainment Ltd. for the development, construction and leasing of the MasterCard Centre for Hockey Excellence, the first community centre to be built in the Toronto area in the last 25 years and practice facility for the Maple Leafs and Marlies and home to the Toronto Maple Leafs Hockey School
- lead counsel for Fairmont Hotels & Resorts in its sale of seven Canadian hotels to Oxford Properties Group, the real estate division of the Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System (OMERS) including The Fairmont Banff Springs, The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, The Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge, The Fairmont Chateau Whistler, The Fairmont Vancouver Airport, The Fairmont Le Château Montebello and The Fairmont Kenauk at Le Chateau Montebello
- lead real estate counsel for Fairmont Hotels & Resorts in its acquisition by an affiliate of Kingdom Hotels International and Colony Capital leading to the combination of the Fairmont and Raffles hotel portfolios (US$4.5 billion)
- lead counsel for large scale development projects for York University, one of Canada's largest universities including the extension of the Spadina subway line and stations at York University, The Accolade Project, Executive Learning Centre located at the Schulich School of Business, Rexall Centre, (home of Tennis Canada), Technology Enhanced Learning Building (project with Seneca College) and The Village at York University, the creation of a neighbourhood of nearly 900 residential units on the south side of the main campus of the University in co-ordination with a residential developer
- lead counsel for The National Ballet School on the redevelopment of its new Jarvis Street facilities including refurbishment of Northfield House, the original Havergal College. The project was awarded the 2008 Governor General's Medal for Architecture and the 2007 American Institute of Architects Honor Award for Architecture
- lead counsel for the original acquisition, development, construction and financing of the Air Canada Centre, home for the Toronto Maple Leafs and Toronto Raptors, and its current 2008 expansion and redevelopment
- lead counsel for the acquisition, development, construction and financing of the fifth tower of The Toronto-Dominion Centre now known as the Ernst & Young Tower
- lead real estate counsel for the restructuring of Toronto District Heating Corporation and the creation of a private, for profit company, Enwave District Energy Limited
- counsel for the disposition of Maple Leaf Gardens, former home of the Toronto Maple Leafs
- counsel for the addition of the Cardinal Carter Wing, the infill expansion project for St. Michael’s Hospital
Godyne was selected as one of Canada’s Most Powerful Women in 2011 by the Women’s Executive Network (WXN). This award recognizes the highest achieving women in private, public and not-for-profit work. In September 2003, Lexpert magazine and the National Post featured Ms. Sibay as one of 15 up and coming women lawyers in Canada. She is a 2014 and 2015 ULI Women’s Leadership Champion.
Godyne is a founding member of the Toronto chapter of Women in Infrastructure and presently sits on its Steering Committee. She is a Co-Chair of the Urban Land Institute’s Women’s Leadership Initiative in Toronto and is a member of the Advisory Board. She is the Canadian member of ULI’s Membership and Outreach Committee. She was also the 2013 and 2014 co-chair of the United Way’s Women Gaining Ground Initiative and a member of the Campaign Cabinet.
Most recently, Godyne has hosted several events, including breakfast for the firm’s National Infrastructure Group – Toronto Speaker Series for Metrolinx – The Big Move: Transforming Transportation in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area, as well as the Government of Vietnam PPP Study Mission to Canada. She has also acted as a panel organizer for the CCPPP WIN session Leveraging Partnerships to Access Opportunities Outside Canada and the WIN Toronto event The Road Ahead for Public-Private Partnerships: An evening with Infrastructure Ontario.
Godyne is a member of several professional and industry organizations, including the Canadian Council on Public–Private Partnerships, Canadian Association of University Solicitors, Toronto CREW (Toronto Commercial Real Estate Women) and the Urban Land Institute. She has also served as a panelist and speaker at various industry seminars including the International Council of Shopping Centres, Federated Press and CREW Network conferences. She was a two time recipient of the prestigious NNCREW International Networking Award. She has co-authored a chapter on "Outbound Investments – Canada" in Rechtshandbuch Immobilien-Investitionen.
Godyne received her BSc in 1980 from the University of Toronto and her LLB in 1983 from the University of Ottawa.
The Women's Executive Network (WXN)
Canada’s 100 Most Powerful Women
Urban Land Institute (ULI) Toronto
Women's Leadership Champion
Leading Lawyer: Projects - PPP & Infrastructure - Canada
Leading Lawyer: Projects - PPP & Infrastructure - Nationwide Canada
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Consistently Recommended: Infrastructure Law
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Repeatedly Recommended: Project Finance
IFLR 1000 Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms
Highly Regarded Lawyer: Project Development, Banking, Project Finance, M&A
Who's Who Legal
Leading Lawyer: Government Contracts
Legal Media Group's Expert Guides
Leading Lawyer: Women in Business Law
Legal Media Group's Expert Guides
Leading Lawyer: Real Estate