Gerald is a partner in our Business Law Group in Vancouver, providing corporate and securities law advice in relation to public and private corporate mergers and acquisitions, finance transactions and governance issues.
Gerald represents a wide range of clients, ranging from local, Vancouver-based companies to large national and international firms in the natural resources, tourism, finance, technology and healthcare sectors.
Gerald's recent experience includes acting for:
- Skeena Resources Limited in its 100% acquisition of the Eskay Creek gold and silver project from Barrick Gold
- Kadant Inc. in its acquisition of Vancouver-based Cogent Industrial Technologies Inc.
- Zijin Mining Group Co., in its C$1.4 billion acquisition of TSX-listed Continental Gold Inc.
- CM (Canada) Asset Management Co. Ltd. in its sale of Grouse Mountain Resort to Northland Properties Corporation
- Nurse Next Door in connection with its C$52 million trademark royalty deal with Diversified Royalty Corp.
Gerald has also acted for:
- a TSX-listed utilities company in its C$1 billion instalment receipt offering
- a Canadian financial institution in its C$5 billion medium-term note program (principal-at-risk structured notes) and various equity offerings
- the underwriters in a C$175 million offering of subscription receipts for a TSX-listed mining company
- the underwriters in a C$130 million offering of common shares for a TSX-listed mining company
- the underwriters in a C$200 million offering of senior secured notes for a TSX-listed food and ingredients company
- the underwriters in connection with offerings of securities by TSX-listed real estate investment trusts
- a U.S. private equity purchaser in its acquisition and de-listing of a TSXV-listed public safety products company
- a Mexican glass products company, in connection with Canadian aspects of its acquisition of the U.S. and Canadian flat-glass business of a U.S. industrial company
- the portfolio company of a U.S.-based private equity fund in its acquisition of Canadian-based food and wellness company
- the portfolio company of a U.S.-based private equity fund in its acquisition of a pan-Canadian automotive repair franchisor
Before returning home to the West Coast to join McCarthy Tétrault, Gerald was legal counsel to the Government of Canada in international trade law matters and a securities associate at a Bay Street law firm.
Gerald grew up in Victoria, B.C. and earned his Bachelor of Commerce at the University of Victoria before completing a joint degree program in international trade policy (Norman Paterson School of International Affairs, Carleton University) and law (University of Ottawa).