Thoughtful and pragmatic, Gerald is committed to seamless deal execution and effective, timely solutions for clients
Gerald is a partner in our Business Law Group in Vancouver. He advises companies, investors and entrepreneurs on M&A and capital market transactions.
Gerald represents a wide range of clients, focusing his broad experience on businesses and investors that are buying, investing in or selling businesses operating in the technology, mining and diversified/commercial sectors. He has significant experience advising public companies and underwriters in offerings of equities and convertible securities.
Gerald's recent experience includes representing:
- The Owners of Regency Retirement Resorts, in their approximately C$600 million sale of a portfolio of nine independent-living retirement residences in the Okanagan region of British Columbia, Canada.
- Timbercreek Financial Corporation, a TSX-listed mortgage investment corporation, in public offerings of convertible debentures and its at-the-market equity offering program
- Shandong Gold Mining Co. Ltd., in its agreement to acquire and take-private TSX-listed TMAC Resources Inc.
- Antarctica Capital, LLC, in its acquisition out of CCAA proceedings of certain assets and subsidiaries of UrtheCast Corporation
- Loral Space & Communications, in its combination with Telesat Canada
- Skeena Resources Limited in its 100% acquisition of the Eskay Creek gold and silver project from Barrick Gold
- Kadant Inc. in its acquisition of Vancouver-based Cogent Industrial Technologies Inc.
- Zijin Mining Group Co., in its C$1.4 billion acquisition and take-private of TSX-listed Continental Gold Inc.
- CM (Canada) Asset Management Co. Ltd. in its sale of Grouse Mountain Resort to Northland Properties Corporation
- Nurse Next Door in its C$52 million trademark royalty deal with Diversified Royalty Corp.
Prior to joining McCarthy Tétrault, Gerald practiced in Calgary and Toronto with other leading Bay Street law firms. Gerald has also served as legal counsel to the governments of Ontario and Canada.
Gerald graduated from the University of Ottawa and Carleton University (Norman Paterson School of International Affairs) in 2008 and 2009 with joint degrees in law (LLB) and international trade policy (MA). Gerald grew up in Victoria, BC and has a business degree (BCom) from the University of Victoria.