Gerald is an associate in the Business Law Group in the firm’s Vancouver office. His practice focuses on capital market transactions and public and private mergers and acquisitions. Gerald has acted for companies, investors and financial institutions in the natural resources and financial sectors, among others.
Corporate Finance Transactions
Gerald has acted for:
- a TSX-listed power and utilities company in connection with its C$1 billion offering of convertible unsecured subordinated debentures represented by instalment receipts
- a Canadian financial institution in connection with its C$5 billion medium-term note program (principal-at-risk structured notes) and offerings of non-viability contingent capital rate reset preferred shares
- the underwriters in connection with a C$175 million offering of subscription receipts for a TSX-listed mining company
- the underwriters in connection with a C$130 million offering of common shares for a TSX-listed mining company
- the underwriters in connection with a C$200 million offering of senior secured notes for a TSX-listed food and ingredients company
- the underwriters in connection with offerings of securities by TSX-listed real estate investment trusts
Gerald has also acted for:
- a U.S.-based private equity purchaser in connection with its acquisition and de-listing of a TSX-V-listed public safety products company
- a Mexico-based glass products company, in connection with Canadian aspects of its acquisition of the U.S. and Canadian flat-glass business of a large U.S. industrial company
- the portfolio company of a U.S.-based private equity fund in connection with its acquisition of Canadian-based food and wellness company
- the portfolio company of a U.S.-based private equity fund, in connection with its acquisition of a pan-Canadian automotive repair franchisor
Prior to joining McCarthy Tétrault, Gerald practiced in the securities group of another national firm and, separately, Gerald represented the Government of Canada in international trade law matters.