Frédérique Drainville is an associate in the Bankruptcy and Restructuring Group in Montréal. Her practice focuses mainly on restructuring, bankruptcy and insolvency, as well as banking litigation, including litigation related to bank liability and bills of exchange.
Because of her extensive experience in bankruptcy and insolvency, Frédérique has been involved in many major files, notably:
- Endoceutics, a pharmaceutical company, in its cross-border restructuring under the Companies' Creditors Arrangement Act (CCAA);
- National Bank of Canada, in numerous recovery cases;
- Groupe Dynamite, a women’s fashion retailer, in its cross-border restructuring under the CCAA;
- Richter Advisory Group, in the restructuring of ChronoMétriq Inc. and Health Myself Innovations Inc. under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act (BIA), before both the Quebec Superior Court and the Quebec Court of Appeal;
- A major creditor, in the CCAA restructuring of North American Lithium;
- Arthur Blumer & Associates Inc., acting as the trustee in the bankruptcy of Public Bike System Company;
- Éclairage Contraste M.L. and Immeubles Lecluze, in their BIA restructuring (obtained substantive consolidation);
- Laurentian Bank of Canada, in the restructuring of several entities of Groupe Huot.
Frédérique’s clients appreciate her understanding of the commercial and economic aspects of each case and the rigour with which she executes the files.
Frédérique is a member of the Executive Committee of the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Law Section of the Canadian Bar Association, Quebec Division, and a member of the Organizing Committee of the Turnaround Management Association’s NextGen, an organization for the next generation of restructuring professionals.
Frédérique actively participates in McCarthy’s diversity and inclusion initiatives and chairs the Pride Action Group of our Montreal office. She regularly represents non-profit organizations in pro bono matters. She is also co-chair of the Sexual and Gender Diversity Alliance (SAGDA) of the Canadian Bar Association, Quebec Division.
Before joining McCarthy, Frédérique worked for several years in a national firm where she acted for various financial institutions, trustees and companies in the context of banking and insolvency disputes.
Frédérique holds a Master’s degree in business administration (MBA) and a Bachelor’s degree in civil law (LLB) which she obtained from Université de Sherbrooke. During her studies, she completed an internship at a banking institution, as well as an internship at the Department of Justice Canada, Department of Tax Affairs.
Frédérique was called to the Québec Bar in 2017 and she is a member of the Canadian Bar Association and the Young Bar Association of Montreal.
Best Lawyers in Canada
Ones to Watch - Banking and Finance Law, Corporate and Commercial Litigation, Insolvency and Financial Restructuring Law