François Giroux is a partner in our Litigation Group in Montréal. His practice focuses on corporate commercial litigation, banking litigation and on class actions. He has appeared before all courts in Québec and many administrative tribunals. He is a member of the Recruitment Committee of the firm.
RECENT SIGNIFICANT CASES:
- acting for BCE Inc. as counsel in connection with the Court approval of its transaction with Astral Media Inc. ($3.3 billion);
- acting for financial institutions victims of fraud of various nature, including Ponzi schemes and kiting;
- acting for several public companies and financial institutions in significant class action matters relating to securities, privacy issues and bank charges;
- acting for several companies defending shareholder litigation with a particular emphasis on oppression remedies;
- representing developers or professional firms in litigation arising from infrastructure projects;
- representing the elected officials of the city of Montreal before the Charbonneau Commission (commission of inquiry on the awarding of public contracts in the Construction industry);
- acting for Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec in the context of a significant claim for oppression;
- successfully representing Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec before the Québec Superior Court in a significant commercial litigation trial concerning a potential M & A deal, and successfully defending before the Québec Court of Appeal the judgment obtained before the Québec Superior Court;
- successfully defending CIBC against an injunction to force the bank to do business with a client;
- successfully representing National Bank as plaintiff in the context of an injunction to force delivery of a computer source code;
- successfully representing National Bank in the context of shareholder litigation;
- successfully representing McGill University in the context of a 50-day trial over McGill’s decision to terminate a tenured professor for misappropriation of research funds in Canada, Norway and India;
- successfully representing McGill University in a significant commercial litigation trial before the Québec Superior Court involving allegations of breach of a commercial contract;
- acting for Molson Inc. as counsel in connection with the Court approval of the merger of Molson Inc. and Adolph Coors Company (US$6 billion);
- acting as counsel for the newspapers La Presse and Le Devoir in a number of defamation matters.
Mr. Giroux received his civil law degree from the Université de Montréal in 1994, and his common law degree from Osgoode Hall (Toronto) in 1996.
Leading lawyer – Litigation: General Commercial (Québec)
Best Lawyers in Canada
Leading lawyer in the areas of class action litigation and corporate and commercial litigation
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading lawyer in corporate commercial litigation
Leading lawyer in class action litigation and corporate and commercial litigation