Étienne Guertin is an associate in our Business Law Group in Montréal. His practice is primarily focused on corporate financing and banking law. Mr. Guertin regularly represents financial institutions and other lenders, as well as borrowers, in connection with the implementation of various types of credit facilities and the taking of security.
Prior to joining McCarthy Tétrault, Mr. Guertin worked as an associate in financing and financial services at a major law firm in the Montréal area.
The following are some of the transactions in which Mr. Guertin was recently involved:
- Member of a team representing a major designer and manufacturer of aerospace products in connection with the financing for the acquisition of several companies operating in the aeronautics industry;
- Member of a team representing, in Québec, a syndicate of banks led by an Alberta lender in connection with the financing of a major Canadian provider of optometric services for the acquisition of competitors;
- Member of a team representing an American lender in connection with the amendment and restatement of credit facilities in favour of a Québec marketing company following the sale, by the latter, of a significant percentage of its assets;
- Member of a team representing a Quebec institutional lender in connection with the issuance of a guaranteed convertible debenture in its favour by an e-marketing and interactive advertising solutions company;
- Member of a team representing, in Québec, a major Canadian motion picture exhibitor in connection with the amendment and restatement of credit facilities established in its favour by a syndicate of banks;
- Member of a team representing a real estate management company in connection with the financing extended by a Canadian financial institution for various real estate acquisitions in Québec and Ontario;
- Member of a team responsible for drafting and updating form financing agreements, including, in particular, mortgage agreements, lease agreements and retail instalment contracts, on behalf of a Canadian finance company.
Mr. Guertin holds a Bachelor’s degree in law (LL.B.) from Université de Montréal, which he obtained in 2011. Prior to studying law, he obtained a Bachelor’s degree in communication and politics from Université de Montréal in 2004, as part of which he spent one semester at the Institut d’Études Politiques de Grenoble. In 2009, he obtained a Master’s degree in political science from Université de Montréal.
Mr. Guertin is a member of the Young Bar Association of Montreal and of the Canadian Bar Association.