Étienne Guertin is a partner in our Business Law Group in Montréal. His practice is primarily focused on corporate financing, banking law, projects financing and infrastructure law. Mr. Guertin regularly represents financial institutions and other lenders, as well as borrowers, in connection with the implementation of various types of credit facilities and the taking of security. He also works with sponsors and private developers in connection with the development, financing and operation of projects in the energy, mining and infrastructure sectors.
Prior to joining McCarthy Tétrault, Mr. Guertin worked as an associate in financing and financial services at a major law firm in the Montréal area.
The following are some of the transactions in which Mr. Guertin was recently involved:
- Member of a team representing Canada Infrastructure Bank in the C$1.28 billion senior secured term loan facility to complete financing for the Réseau Express Métropolitain light rail project;
- Member of a team representing Nouvelle Autoroute 30 s.e.n.c. on the C$1.2 billion bond refinancing for Montreal highway Autoroute 30 concession project;
- Member of a team representing a major designer and manufacturer of aerospace products in connection with the financing for the acquisition of several companies operating in the aeronautics industry;
- Member of a team representing, in Québec, a syndicate of banks led by an Alberta lender in connection with the financing of a major Canadian provider of optometric services for the acquisition of competitors;
- Member of a team representing a Quebec institutional lender in connection with the issuance of a guaranteed convertible debenture in its favour by an e-marketing and interactive advertising solutions company;
- Member of a team representing, in Québec, a major Canadian motion picture exhibitor in connection with the amendment and restatement of credit facilities established in its favour by a syndicate of banks;
- Member of a team representing the proponent of the Glen Campus project for the McGill University Health Centre.
- Member of a team representing Thompson Street Capital Partners in connection with its acquisition, through a portfolio company, T-Base Communications, of a leading provider of software and services enabling electronic document accessibility.
Mr. Guertin holds a Bachelor’s degree in law (LL.B.) from Université de Montréal, which he obtained in 2011. Prior to studying law, he obtained a Bachelor’s degree in communication and politics from Université de Montréal in 2004, as part of which he spent one semester at the Institut d’Études Politiques de Grenoble. In 2009, he obtained a Master’s degree in political science from Université de Montréal.