Erica J. Baron is a partner in our Litigation Group in Toronto. In her general litigation practice she has appeared as counsel in trials, appeals, arbitrations and administrative tribunal before all levels of court including the Supreme Court of Canada.
Erica focuses her practice on complex commercial disputes, including commercial arbitrations and real estate disputes, professional liability and health law as well as complex estate litigation.
Her litigation experience includes:
- Obtaining a stay of the enforcement of an arbitration award pending leave to appeal to the Court of Appeal;
- Numerous confidential domestic and international commercial arbitrations;
- Regularly representing physicians in disputes with family members over end-of-life treatment;
- Regularly defending physicians against allegations of professional negligence or misconduct;
- Obtaining summary judgment in a dispute over termination of a lease agreement in the context of allegations of a breach of a duty of good faith;
- Obtaining an order that a Marriage Contract executed prior to Family Law Act did not preclude equalization of non-family assets;
- Obtaining an order that a disposition of property made by Attorneys for Property at a time that the donor of the Power of Attorney was incapable did not result in an ademption under the donor’s will;
- Successfully defending a judicial review of a decision by a public school board to sell a surplus school to a developer;
- Successfully defending a motion to deliver a jury notice in the context of a case where a jury was not permitted at law;
- Representing institutions, executors and trustees, beneficiaries and joint land owners, in disputes arising from estates, trusts and co-ownership of property; and
- Successfully defending a motion to amend a claim to include similar fact evidence is a complex commercial case.
Erica received her LL.B. (summa cum laude) from the University of Ottawa in 2000, where she achieved the awards for the top standing in both evidence and conflict of laws. Previously, she graduated with distinction from the University of Western Ontario with a BA (Hons.) in philosophy.
Erica is a member of the Advocates’ Society and the Ontario Bar Association.