Éric is an accomplished deal-maker with a firm grasp on the industries in which clients operate and a proven ability to negotiate the best results for their business.
Éric is a partner in the Montréal office. He is the National Practice Group Leader of McCarthy Tétrault's Business Law Group and acts as the Group's lead for the Québec region as well.
Éric has been with the firm since 1995, practising in all major areas of corporate and commercial law, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, partnerships, corporate reorganizations and corporate finance.
Successfully representing a number of businesses and financial institutions operating in agribusiness, especially in the areas of food processing and alcoholic beverage manufacturing, Éric takes a pragmatic and business-driven approach when advising clients on acquisitions, regulations and general commercial law.
Acting as a point person within the firm, Éric coordinates and leads large teams on complex files.
Éric’s experience includes regional, national and cross-border transactions in a range of industries, including representing:
- La Coop fédérée in its acquisition of Groupe BMR’s remaining shares
- Creemore Springs Brewery Ltd. in its acquisition of Le Trou du Diable microbrewery
- General Mills in its acquisition of Yoplait
- General Mills in the sale of its Green Giant and Le Sieur brands to B&G Foods, Inc.
- Olymel LP in its acquisition of Aliments Triomphe Foods
- Olymel LP and La Coop fédérée in their acquisition of F. Ménard
- Olymel LP in its acquisition of La Fernandière Inc.
- Olymel LP in its acquisition of Big Sky Farms Inc.’s Canadian assets
- Olymel LP in connection with its partnership with ATRAHAN Transformation Inc.
- Olymel LP in connection with its partnership with Groupe Robitaille (Aliments Lucyporc in Yamachiche, Québec)
- Solotech Inc. in its acquisition of Midnite Hour Productions
- Acceo Solutions Inc. in connection with the sale to Constellation Software Inc.
An active participant in the community, Éric also serves as a Director and Vice-President/Chairman on the following boards: Société de la Place des Arts, Fondation de la Place des Arts, Culture pour tous and Festival TransAmériques. He also sits on the Faculty Advisory Board of the Faculty of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences of McGill University (Macdonald Campus) and has been a member of the Ordre des agronomes du Québec since 1998.
Éric received a bachelor’s degree in Agricultural Science and a certificate in Environmental Studies from McGill University in 1991. He received his LLB from Université de Sherbrooke in 1994.
Leading lawyer: Corporate/Commercial - Quebec
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Corporate Commercial Law, Corporate Mid-Market, Mergers and Acquisitions, Private Equity
The Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada
Leading Lawyer: Corporate Mid-Market, Mergers & Acquisitions
Lexpert Special Edition: Canada’s Leading Cross Border Lawyers
A leading cross border lawyer
Lexpert Special Edition – Finance and M&A
Lexpert Special Edition: Agribusiness and Cannabis
IFLR 1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms
Highly Regarded: M&A, Food & Beverage