Ellen Yifan Chen is an associate in our Business Law Group in Montréal. She is specializing in technology and privacy law within a general corporate and commercial practice. Ellen is also fluently trilingual, speaking French, English and Mandarin.
Her major mandates include:
- Assisting in the management of privacy commissioner investigations following a major data breach experienced by a health care client
- Advising a financial institution in the management of a major data breach incident and to respond to subsequent government investigations
- Assisting in the negotiation of a IT services outsourcing agreement for a major transportation operator
- Assisting a video game solutions developer in the implementation of GDPR-compliant privacy framework
- Advising a US-based law firm in implementing Canadian law-compliant privacy practices
- Assisting in the drafting of net neutrality policies for a consortium of national telecommunication regulators
- Advising a Chinese smart home products company in the development of a Canadian law-compliant privacy framework
- Assisting Chinese client Zijin Mining in the acquisition of Canadian mining company Continental Gold
She has a degree in finance and economics in addition to industry experience in banking, compliance, and risk management. Ellen also has a history of involvement in institutional and corporate governance. She is currently a Commissioner of the federal National Battlefields Commission.
Ellen studied civil and common law at the Faculty of Law at McGill University. She is a member of the Quebec bar and the Ontario bar.