Daniel Siracusa is an associate in the Litigation Group of our Vancouver office. He maintains a general civil litigation practice and has experience in a variety of areas such as complex commercial litigation, including real estate disputes; class action defence, including product liability claims; and environmental and regulatory matters, with a focus on claims related to wildfires.
Daniel has appeared as counsel at all levels of court in British Columbia and has assisted on proceedings before other Canadian courts and tribunals.
Daniel serves clients in a range of industries, including transportation, real estate development, mining, financial services, manufacturing and retail. He is an active member of our Transportation & Logistics, National Environmental, and Retail & Consumer Markets industry groups.
Daniel’s recent representative experience includes:
- Representing a railway company in cost recovery proceedings under the BC Wildfire Act, including in administrative proceedings, judicial reviews and appeals;
- Defending a multi-national cosmetics retailer against multiple proposed class actions alleging product defects and personal injury;
- Defending a major real estate developer and landlord against an injunction sought by a terminated tenant;
- Defending a real estate developer against claims alleging fraud and misrepresentation, and obtaining an injunction against a trespasser;
- Representing a real estate developer in proceedings under the BC Strata Property Act;
- Acting on breach of contract claims, including for a financial institution, a publisher, an automotive parts distributor, and an industrial fabricator.
Daniel presents on and regularly publishes on topics relating to his areas of practice on our Canadian Class Actions Monitor and the Canadian Appeals Monitor, and has contributed to our “Doing Business in Canada” Guide.
Daniel volunteers as a course coordinator with the Allan McEachern Course in Advanced Trial Advocacy at the Allard Hall School of Law. He is also a committee member for our annual United Way/Centreaide campaign.
Daniel received his Bachelor of Laws and Bachelor of Civil Law through McGill University’s bilingual double degree program in 2018. He was named on the Dean’s Honour List (top 10% of his graduating class) and won the De Grandpré Chait Award for earning the highest cumulative grades in all courses in property and real estate law. At law school, Daniel represented McGill at the Laskin Moot Competition in administrative law. He also volunteered as a caseworker with two legal clinics serving people unable to afford legal assistance.
Before law school, Daniel worked for several years as an English language teacher at a leading college for international students and, before that, as a ferry captain in downtown Vancouver. He received his BA in English Literature and History from the University of British Columbia, spending a semester abroad at Université Jean Moulin in Lyon, France.
In addition to English, Daniel speaks Italian and is proficient in French.
Daniel joined the firm as a summer student in 2018 and returned to article in 2019. He was called to the British Columbia bar in 2020. He is a member of the Law Society of British Columbia and the Canadian Bar Association.