Dan Bornstein is a partner in the firm’s Business Law group in Toronto. Dan’s legal practice is focused on project development and transactions in the mining industry. Dan has extensive experience advising domestic and international companies on private mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, environmental law and, agreements with governments and project stakeholders internationally and domestically.Dan has significant industry connections and expertise in the global metals and mining sector.
Prior to re-joining in McCarthy Tétrault in 2017, Dan held senior roles in the environment and reclamation departments of a major international mining company.
Dan has lectured on commercial law, aboriginal law and environmental law topics, and has recently participated on panel presentations to clients on recent developments in Indigenous law in Canada. Dan received his BA (Hons.) from the University of Toronto in 1999, his MA in Medieval Studies from Fordham University in New York in 2001 and his JD from the Faculty of Law at the University of Toronto in 2004. He was called to the Ontario bar in 2005 and is a member of the Law Society of Ontario, the Prospectors and Developers Association of Canada, the Association for Mineral Exploration and the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation.
- Acted for Skeena Resources on its creation with Tahltan Central Government, the Province, the Nature Conservancy of Canada, and BC Parks Foundation of the new conservancy to protect the environment and wildlife in Ice Mountain Lands.
- Acted for Evolution Mining on its US$475 million 100% acquisition of the Red Lake gold complex from Newmont
- Acted for Newcrest Mining on its US$804 million agreement to acquire a 70% joint venture interest in the Red Chris copper and gold mine in British Columbia from Imperial Metals and on an amended and restated agreement with the Tahltan Central Government
- Acted for Zijin Mining on its acquisition of Continental Gold for $1.4 billion
- Acted for Endeavor Mining on its acquisition of the Red Lake Gold Mine from Newmont Mining
- Advised Skeena Resources on the sale of its GJ Project to Newcrest Mining for $9 million
- Acted for Glencore on its earn in agreement with Odin Metals, for Odin to expand its holdings at Sturgeon Lake. As consideration, Glencore was provided with a right to earn a 50% interest in Odin’s properties in the camp, an offtake rights over such properties, and warrants to acquire up to 19.99% of the ordinary shares of Odin on the ASX
- Acted for La Mancha on its US$125.7 million strategic investment to acquire 30% of shares of TSX and NYSE-listed Golden Star Resources which operates the Wassa and Prestea underground mines in Ghana
- Advised Skeena Resources Limited in an option agreement with Hochschild Mining Holdings Limited to earn a 60% undivided interest in Skeena’s Snip Gold Project and C$6.76 million equity investment from Hochschild
- Advised Skeena Resources on its 100% acquisition of Eskay Creek gold and silver project from Barrick
Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Mining
Lexpert Special Edition: Mining
Next Generation Partner: Aboriginal Law
The Legal 500 -Canada
Leading Lawyer: Indigenous Law