Known for his creative approach and proven record of success, Christopher provides clients with effective solutions to complex workplace issues.
Christopher McHardy* is a partner in our Labour & Employment Group in Vancouver where he offers high-level advice to clients on broad range of workplace issues relating to labour, employment, human rights, privacy and immigration law. As a part of National Retail, Biotech, Energy, Technology and Mining industry groups, Christopher has experience that helps him serve clients in their respective markets.
Clients appreciate Christopher's strategic, solutions-oriented approach. He is committed to delivering efficient and effective results when handling all manner of complex labour and employment issues. Christopher is recognized for his ability to think outside the box and present unique, pragmatic solutions that achieve bottom line objectives while taking into account workplace needs and sensitivities.
Christopher regularly provides advice to employers on a broad range of workplace issues relating to labour, employment, human rights, privacy and immigration law. He is a frequent advisor to national and international clients in connection with establishing business operations in British Columbia. He also advises on and negotiates labour and employment issues in corporate mergers, acquisitions and outsourcing. He regularly represents management in collective bargaining, negotiations, investigations, mediations, arbitrations, administrative hearings and in court. Some of his experience includes:
- advising US and other offshore clients on labour, employment, human rights, privacy and immigration laws in connection with establishing business operations in British Columbia;
- advising employers on, and preparing and negotiating, employment and consulting agreements, restrictive covenants, workplace policies, employee handbooks and other employment-related documents;
- advising employers on union organizing drives, certification and decertification applications, unfair labour practices and collective bargaining, and representing employers in collective bargaining;
- advising on labour and employment issues in corporate mergers, acquisitions and outsourcing;
- defending employers against employee claims in provincial and superior courts, the Human Rights Tribunal, the Employment Standards Tribunal, the Labour Relations Board, labour arbitration boards, the Workers’ Compensation Board and its Appeal Tribunal, the Privacy Commissioner and other administrative bodies;
- representing employers in mediation and other alternative dispute resolution processes;
- advising employers on human resource management practices, human rights and privacy laws, union avoidance, investigations, and employee hiring, layoffs and terminations; and
- advising and assisting organizations and individuals with immigration matters and applications, particularly business visits, temporary resident permits, work permits, Provincial Nominee Program applications and permanent resident applications.
An active member of the community, Christopher served as Co-Chair, Human Rights Section (BC) of the Canadian Bar Association for six years and regularly participates in mentorship initiatives within the firm. He currently teaches a course at the Peter A. Allard School of Law at the University of British Columbia.
Christopher obtained his B.Comm (1997 Honours) and his LLB (2000) from the University of British Columbia.
*denotes Law Corporation
Awards & Rankings
Leading Lawyer: Employment & Labour - British Columbia
The Legal 500 - Canada
Recommended: Labour and Employment
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Workplace Human Rights
Best Lawyers in Canada
A leading lawyer in the area of labour and employment