Christopher Langdon is a partner in our Business Law Group in Toronto and London UK and is co-lead of our Projects Group. His practice is focused on projects in mining, energy and infrastructure.
Christopher advises clients on a range of project development and finance transactions, representing sponsors, project companies, commercial banks and international financial institutions. He has extensive experience in banking, project finance, financial restructuring, joint ventures, metal streaming, off-takes and concessions. Most recently, he has been advising on major project financings and complex commercial arrangements for mining, energy and infrastructure projects in Africa, Europe, the Middle East, Canada and the United States.
Christopher has diverse international experience having worked as a partner in an international firm in London, UK and the Middle East. He is listed in the current edition of the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, a guide to leading law firms and practitioners, as a leading lawyer in the areas of mining and project finance. He is recognized as a leading banking and finance practitioner in the 2010 to 2014 editions of Chambers Global. He was recognised in the 2014 edition of Legal 500 under Projects, Energy and Natural Resources, along with Emerging Markets, and was recommended for his commercial awareness. He was also named a leading lawyer by Islamic Finance News in the areas of Islamic banking and Islamic structured finance.
Christopher obtained his LLM at the University of London (King’s College). He received his LLB and BCL from McGill University in 1997 and his BSocSc from the University of Ottawa in 1991. He is a member of the bars of Ontario (1999) and England and Wales (2001).
- Mubadala Investment Company on its US$130 million strategic investment in Equinox Gold
- Zijin Mining on its CAD$1.4 billion acquisition of TSX-listed Continental Gold
- KfW IPEX Bank in their project finance senior debt facility supported by a loan guarantee issued by the Federal Republic of Germany to Nevada Copper for US$115 million to develop the Pumpkin Hollow underground project
- Trevali Mining on its US$275 million revolving credit facility with a syndicate of banks led by the Bank of Nova Scotia and HSBC Bank Canada
- Vale S.A. on its US$690 million cobalt streaming transaction with Wheaton Precious Metals and Cobalt 27 Capital for the Voisey's Bay Mine
- Appian Capital Advisory on its US$20 million subordinated loan to Harte Gold to fund the Sugar Zone gold project in Ontario
- Nemaska Lithium on its US$150 million lithium stream with Orion Mine Finance to fund the Whabouchi lithium project in Quebec
- Appian Capital Advisory on its US$40 million acquisition from Aura Minerals of the Serrote da Laje copper gold project in Brazil
- Appian Capital Advisory on its gold off-take from Harte Gold’s Sugar Zone gold project in Ontario
- Royal Gold in an exchange of the Gold Stream Facility with Rubicon Minerals Corporation as part of Rubicon's refinancing and restructuring transaction
- Royal Gold on its US$265 million silver streaming transaction with Cupric Canyon Capital for the Khoemacau copper project in Botswana
- J. Aron & Company on US$100 million inventory monetization by Stelco
- Advising Afghanistan-registered Silk Road Mining as it finalized a large-scale mineral development contract with the Ministry of Mines and Petroleum of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan
- Advising Aquila Resources Inc. on its US$55 million gold streaming and US$10 million equity subscription transaction with Osisko Gold Royalties Ltd.
- Advising Taseko Mines Limited on various transactions including its US$250 million senior secured notes, a US$33 million silver stream with Osisko Gold Royalties Ltd., and a US$70 million senior secured credit facility with an affiliate of RK Mine Finance, including copper call options and warrants
- Advising a Chinese company in respect of a strategic investment and offtake agreement with Fission Uranium Corp. relating to the development of its major uranium property in Saskatchewan, the first direct Chinese investment in the Canadian uranium industry
- Advising Bruce Power LP in connection with its long-term agreement with the Independent Electricity System Operator to secure 6,300 MW of electricity from its Bruce Power site located in Tiverton, Ontario through to 2064 pursuant to a multi-year investment program that will result in the refurbishment of six of Bruce Power’s eight nuclear reactors with a projected total capital cost of $13 billion
- Advising Royal Gold, Inc. and its affiliates on its US$1 billion secured credit facility and on various metal streaming transactions including a US$610 million gold and silver stream from Barrick Gold Corporation over its Pueblo Viejo mine in the Dominican Republic, a US$175 million gold and silver stream from New Gold Inc. over its Rainy River project in Ontario, a US$175 million secured gold stream from Euromax Resources Ltd. over its Ilovitza gold project in Macedonia, a US$130 million secured gold stream from Golden Star Resources over its Bogoso/Prestea and Wassa gold projects in Ghana, and a US$75 million secured gold stream from Rubicon Minerals Corporation over its Phoenix gold project in Ontario
- Advising Konkola and Vedanta plc on the US$850 million limited recourse financing of the Konkola Copper Mines in Zambia, which was awarded Project Finance Magazine’s African Mining Deal of Year for 2012
- Advising UniCredit, the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD), Black Sea Trade and Development Bank, DenizBank and Siemens Bank in connection with the €250 million limited recourse financing provided to an SPV set up by TAV Airports for the construction, operation and maintenance of the new domestic terminal at Izmir Adnan Menderes Airport in Turkey
- Advising Saudi Arabian Mining Company (Ma’aden) in respect of its joint venture with Mosaic Company, and Saudi Basic Industries Company, and project development of the US$7 billion Wa’ad Al Shammal greenfield phosphate project in Saudi Arabia
- Advising Garanti Bank, the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD), Isbank, Vakifbank, TSKB and DenizBank in connection with the US$ 861 million financing of the privatization of Istanbul ferry operator Istanbul Deniz Otobusleri Sanayi ve Ticaret A.S. (IDO) in Turkey, which transaction was “Commended” by the 2012 Financial Times Innovative Lawyers report for its “first-of-its-kind leveraged finance structure in Turkey"
- Advising the sponsors, Qatar Petroleum and ConocoPhillips, on the US$5.8 billion Qatargas 3 LNG project financing in Qatar
- Advising the lenders and bond underwriters, led by Goldman Sachs and Citibank, in the US$2 billion 144A Reg S bond and US$4.7 billion bank financing of the EMAL Aluminium smelter project in Abu Dhabi, which project was awarded “Middle East Manufacturing Deal of the Year 2007” by Project Finance Magazine and “Industrial Deal of the Year 2007” by Project Finance International
Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Mining; Energy (Oil & Gas)
Lexpert Special Edition: Mining
Lexpert Special Edition: Infrastructure
Lexpert Special Edition: Energy
Best Lawyers in Canada
Leading Lawyer: Mining Law