A recognized leader in corporate tax and tax planning, Christian consistently provides sharp insight and deploys experience-backed solutions to complex transactions
Christian is a partner in Montréal. Clients trust Christian’s deeply practical, solution-oriented approach to successfully guide them through the tax aspects of mergers, acquisitions, and domestic and international corporate reorganizations. His practice focuses primarily on corporate tax and tax planning.
Clients benefit from Christian’s considerable experience and commitment to achieving the best possible outcome and to provide them with a seamless experience. His broad range of industry insight and well-honed ability to bridge the complex elements of a transaction allow him to consistently deliver results. Christian regularly acts for large corporations, both Canadian and foreign, on general corporate tax issues, and on mergers and acquisitions both domestic and cross-border level. Most notably, Christian recently acted as lead Canadian tax counsel for:
- Nestlé S.A. in its strategic alliance with Starbucks to market Starbucks' consumer and foodservice products globally;
- Nestlé S.A. in its US$2.3 billion acquisition of Atrium Innovations Inc.;
- Walter Financial Inc., as seller, in the acquisition by ONCAP of the four entities carrying on the Walter Surface Technologies business internationally;
- Pomerleau in the acquisition of a minority interest by Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec for C$50 million;
- The Hewitt Group in its C$1.0177 billion acquisition by Toromont Industries Ltd.; and
- Rayonier Advanced Materials Inc. in its C$1.1 billion acquisition of Tembec Inc.
An active member of the legal community, Christian is a frequent speaker on tax matters at conferences and seminars and has authored or co-authored articles and presentations for various organizations such as the Association de planification fiscale et financière (APFF) and the Canadian Tax Foundation. He has lectured at the HEC Montréal Law Faculty of Université de Montréal in the Master of Laws (taxation) program since 2003. Within the firm, Christian leverages his experience and knowledge to provide mentorship opportunities to members of his team.
Christian obtained his law degree at the Université Laval in 1996 and his Masters in taxation at the Université de Montréal in 2000. He was called to the Québec bar in 1998.