A recognized leader in Québec’s private equity market and the technology sector, Charles is known for navigating sophisticated cross-border transactions.
Charles Chevrette is a partner in the Business Law Group, located in the Firm’s Montréal office.
He is a respected senior practitioner with 28 years of experience and a strong reputation for expertise in private equity, venture capital, and M&A in the Québec region. He also has considerable experience advising clients on technology-related deals, including information technology and telecommunications, and in the financial services sector.
With a deep industry and market footprint and considerable transactional prowess, Charles is well-versed in the Québec business community and has first-hand experience with key institutional players and their unique business needs.
Charles acts for major institutional investors on large and medium equity investments, joint ventures and mergers and acquisitions, including LBOs and MBOs. He has advised on the creation of numerous funds and investment companies in Canada and elsewhere. Additionally, he has been involved in several significant technology financings and buy-out transactions, acting for private equity venture capital funds, universities and growth companies.
Charles has served as strategic corporate counsel for many Québec-based companies and as Canadian counsel for numerous multinationals and international investors doing business in Canada. His public policy expertise is sought by many in connection with business and financial operations involving governmental entities.
Charles is a member of the Bar of the Province of Québec (Barreau du Québec); Réseau Capital (Québec's Venture Capital Association); Canada's Venture Capital & Private Equity Association (CVCA); the International Bar Association; the American Bar Association; and, the Québec MBA Association.
- Lead counsel to Novacap in the acquisition and sale of Intelerad Medical Systems
- Lead counsel to Syntax Systems Ltd. in connection with the acquisitions of Core Services and Freudenberg IT
- Lead counsel to Desjardins Venture Capital in connection with an equity investment in the Champlain SH Real Estate Fund
- Lead counsel to the Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec in connection with the sale of Catalina Holdings (Bermuda) Ltd., a Bermuda-based company specializing in the acquisition and management of insurance and reinsurance companies, to Apollo Global Management
- Lead counsel to Tennenbaum Capital Partners in its acquisition, together with a consortium of investors including Globalive Capital, West Face and LG Capital of the interest of VimpelCom Ltd. in WIND Mobile
- Lead counsel to the sellers, including Novacap, in the sale of Fibrenoire to Videotron, a $125M transaction
- Lead counsel to Corporation financière BDG in connection with its acquisitions of Cendrex and Compass Foods
- Corporate counsel to Fortress Investment Group in connection with the acquisition of the assets of the Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway and ancillary negotiations with the Government of Québec and the City of Lac-Mégantic
- Lead counsel to Desjardins Venture Capital and to Investissement Québec in connection with the sale of Group OSI to Groupe Alithya and further investments in Groupe Alithya
- Lead counsel Novacap in the context of the initial public offering of Stringray Digital in the amount of $140 million
- Lead counsel to Public Mobile in connection with the sale of the company to TELUS Communications
- Lead counsel to the sellers, including Novacap and Desjardins Venture Capital, in connection with the sale of Creaform to Ametek, a $125M transaction
- Lead counsel to Novacap in connection with the acquisition and sale of Florida-based Broadband One LLC (Host.net)
- Lead counsel to Public Mobile in connection with the recapitalization of the company by Thomvest Seed Capital and other investors
- Lead counsel to a syndicate of institutional investors domestic and non-domestic, including M/C Partners, Ignition Partners and Columbia Partners, that successfully participated in the Advanced Wireless Spectrum Auction conducted by Industry Canada
- Lead counsel to Toronto Stock Exchange and TSX Venture Exchange companies for various private placements and prospectus offerings
The Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada
Leading Lawyer: Corporate Mid-Market; and Corporate Commercial Law
Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Mergers & Acquisitions; Corporate Mid-Market; Corporate Commercial Law; and Private Equity
Lexpert Special Edition: Finance and M&A
Best Lawyers in Canada
Leading lawyer: Corporate Law, Technology Law, and Mergers & Acquisitions
IFLR 1000 Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms
Notable Practitioner: Private Equity, Technology & Telecommunications, Financial Services