Charles-Antoine Soulière is a partner in our Business Law Group. His practice focuses mainly on securities, corporate finance, regulation of insurance companies and financial institutions, mergers and acquisitions and corporate governance.
Charles-Antoine acts as counsel to issuers and underwriters in various public offerings (including initial public offerings) and private placements. He assists financial institutions and insurance companies in the context of various transactions and regulatory questions and advises a number of Canadian public companies on continuous disclosure obligations and governance issues. Charles-Antoine also helps start-ups deal with legal questions related to their growth. In the area of mergers and acquisitions, he participates in significant transactions, acting for both buyers and sellers of public and private companies, including take-over bids and going-private transactions of publicly listed issuers and acts as counsel to independent committees in connection with various transactions.
Charles-Antoine’s experience includes:
- $150M offering of preferred shares of Intact Financial Corporation through a syndicate of dealers led by CIBC World Markets.
- $15M offering of common shares by Napec by way of prospectus supplement through a syndicate of dealers led by Desjardins Securities.
- $15M offering of common shares of Hamilton Thorne through Bloom Burton Securities to finance the acquisition of Gynemed GmbH & Co. KG.
- Amalgamation of Fédération des caisses Desjardins du Québec with Caisse centrale Desjardins to combine under a single issuer all of the activities related to the issue of securities of Desjardins Group.
- Merger of SSQ General Insurance Company and SSQ Insurance Company.
- $153M offering of common shares of iA Financial Group by way of prospectus supplement through a syndicate of dealers led by TD Securities to finance the acquisition of HollisWealth from The Bank of Nova Scotia.
- Comprehensive recapitalization transactions of Colabor Group including a $50M rights offering fully backstopped by Zucker Trust, Fonds de solidarité des travailleurs du Québec (F.T.Q.), Investissement Québec and Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec, renewal of senior credit facilities, extension of secured subordinated loan and amendment of outstanding debentures.
- $400M offering of subordinated debentures by iA Financial Group by way of prospectus supplement through a syndicate of dealers led by TD Securities.
- Financing of Jobillico Inc. by Desjardins Venture Capital.
- Acquisition by Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec of 30% of Bombardier Transportation Holdco for US$1.5B.
- Acquisition by Desjardins Group of State Farm Canada’s businesses in property and casualty and life insurance, as well as its Canadian mutual fund, loan and living benefits companies and concurrent investment of $450M by State Farm and of $200M by Crédit Mutuel.
- Initial public offering and secondary offering of NYX Gaming Group Inc. of a value of $49.5M through a syndicate of underwriters led by Canaccord Genuity Corp.
- Acquisition by Amaya Gaming of Oldford Group, the parent company of Rational Group, owner and operator of the PokerStars and Full Tilt Poker brands, for US$4.9 billion and financing of the acquisition by GSO Capital Partners and Canaccord Genuity by way of private placements.
- Public offering of $28M common shares of Aptose Biosciences by a syndicate of underwriters led by RBC Capital Markets.
- Acquisition of Medicago by Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma Corporation by way of plan of arrangement for a $357M value.
Charles-Antoine received his law degree from the Université de Sherbrooke in 2007.