Charles-Antoine Soulière is partner in our Business Law Group. His practice focuses mainly on securities, corporate finance, regulation of insurance companies and financial institutions, mergers and acquisitions and corporate governance.
Charles-Antoine acts as counsel to issuers and underwriters in various public offerings (including initial public offerings) and private placements. Charles-Antoine assists financial institutions and insurance companies in the context of various transactions and regulatory questions and advises a number of Canadian public companies on continuous disclosure obligations and governance issues. Charles-Antoine also helps start-ups and mid-market corporations deal with legal questions related to their growth and transactional needs. In the area of mergers and acquisitions, he participates in significant transactions, acting for both buyers and sellers of public and private companies, including take-over bids and going-private transactions of publicly listed issuers and acts as counsel to independent committees in connection with various transactions.
Charles-Antoine’s experience includes:
Insurance and Financial Institutions
- $150M financing of La Capitale Financial Group by Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec.
- Issuances of $285M of common shares and five-year rate reset preferred shares of iA Financial Group through a syndicate of dealers led by TD Securities and National Bank Financial.
- Merger of SSQ General Insurance Company and SSQ Insurance Company.
- Amalgamation of Fédération des caisses Desjardins du Québec with Caisse centrale Desjardins to combine under a single issuer all of the activities related to the issue of securities of Desjardins Group.
- Issuance of $150M of preferred shares of Intact Financial Corporation through a syndicate of dealers led by CIBC World Markets.
- $153M offering of common shares of iA Financial Group by way of prospectus supplement through a syndicate of dealers led by TD Securities to finance the acquisition of HollisWealth from The Bank of Nova Scotia.
- Acquisition by Desjardins Group of State Farm Canada’s businesses in property and casualty and life insurance, as well as its Canadian mutual fund, loan and living benefits companies and concurrent investment of $450M by State Farm and of $200M by Crédit Mutuel.
- US$408.9M bought deal secondary offering of subordinated voting shares of BRP by the Beaudier Group and Bain Capital as part of the listing of BRP shares on NASDAQ through a syndicate of underwriters led by BMO Capital Markets, Citigroup, RBC Capital Markets and UBS Investment Bank.
- Financing structure of $1.1 billion of Nemaska Lithium including a CA$93.8M private placement of subscription receipts with SoftBank Group, a bought deal public offering of common shares of CA$280M, a private placement of common shares de CA$80M with Ressources Québec and an offering of secured redeemable bonds of US$350M.
- $315M offering of 10% senior secured notes by Yellow Pages in Canada and the United States through BMO Capital Markets and National Bank Financial.
- $300M financing arrangements of Champion Iron including US$80M secured loan provided by Sprott Resource, US$100M subordinated loan provided by Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec, $31.2M subordinated debenture issued to Glencore and $18M subscription receipt public offering.
- Merger of Junex and Cuda Energy.
- $433.5M bought deal secondary offering of subordinated voting shares of BRP by the Beaudier Group, Bain Capital, Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec and other shareholders through a syndicate of underwriters led by BMO Capital Markets and RBC Capital Markets.
- Initial public offering and secondary offering of NYX Gaming Group Inc. of a value of $49.5M through a syndicate of underwriters led by Canaccord Genuity Corp.
Biotechnology and Technology
- US$35.5 M equity lines of credit provided to Aptose Biosciences by Aspire Capital.
- Private placement of $10M of common shares of Hamilton Thorne through Bloom Burton Securities, Beacon Securities and Cormark Securities.
- Prospectus offering of $1.5M of common shares of CO2 Solutions through Echelon Wealth Management.
- At-the market facility of $30M of Aptose Biosciences with Cantor Fitzgerald.
- Acquisition of Medicago by Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma Corporation by way of plan of arrangement for a $357M value.
- Acquisition by Amaya Gaming of Oldford Group, the parent company of Rational Group, owner and operator of the PokerStars and Full Tilt Poker brands, for US$4.9 billion and financing of the acquisition by GSO Capital Partners and Canaccord Genuity by way of private placements.
- Purchase by Gecko Alliance of 50% of its shares held by US partners with Desjardins Venture Capital.
- Financing of Jobillico Inc. by Desjardins Venture Capital.
- Acquisition of MQ Windows by Andersen Corporation.
- Financing and acquisition of BiogeniQ by Biron Groupe Santé.
Charles-Antoine received his law degree from the Université de Sherbrooke in 2007 and was called to the Québec bar in 2008. He is a member of the Board of Directors of École des Ursulines de Québec.