Brian Lipson is an associate in the Transportation and Logistics group. His practice focuses on mergers & acquisitions, commercial agreements, regulatory compliance, and licencing in the areas of road, rail, maritime and air transportation and in warehousing and supply chain. Brian has provided advice in respect of numerous Canadian and cross-border purchase and sale agreements, reorganizations, and investments. He provides licensing advice in respect of cross-border transportation in the rail and road modes. He offers contractual solutions and advice on liability and risk exposure to warehousemen and storers, to rail carriers and owners of rail rolling stock, to motor carriers and brokers of freight, to shippers, to governments and municipalities and to providers of public transportation, including in the areas of autonomous trucks and Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (drones). Brian also has extensive experience with licensing and permitting requirements for motor vehicle dealers throughout Canada, including obtaining licences from the Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council (OMVIC) and other similar regulators in the context of cross-border acquisitions and expansions.
Brian also assists the firm’s clients in preventing, handling and contesting moving and other violations under federal and provincial laws and regulations, regularly representing motor carriers and their drivers before courts in Quebec and ensuring their representation before courts throughout Canada. He provides advice in respect of proceedings before the Canadian Transportation Agency in connection with accessibility to transport and various applications and disputes related to rail transportation. Brian also assists several companies with respect to their regulatory compliance and contractual matters including Day & Ross Inc., Canadian National Railway Company, TransX Ltd., Uber Canada Inc. and VersaCold Logistics Services.
Brian’s recent experience includes:
- Advising Brandt Tractor Ltd. in its acquisition of the businesses of Nortrax Canada Inc. and Nortrax Quebec Inc.
- Advising CSX Transportation Inc. in the sale to the Canadian National Railway Company of its Massena rail line and of terminal assets located in Quebec and New York.
- Advising La Coop fédérée and its Olymel and Sollio Agriculture divisions in their agreement to acquire all of the assets of F. Ménard.
- Advising Composites One, LLC in the acquisition of Canadian-Based Polynt Composites Distribution Business.
- Advising Day & Ross Inc., Canadian National Railway Company, TransX Ltd., Uber Canada Inc. and VersaCold Logistics Services in respect of regulatory compliance and contractual matters.
- Advising Via Rail Canada Inc. in connection with matters before the Canadian Transportation Agency.
Brian obtained a Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) degree from Université Laval in 2013 and was called to the Quebec Bar in 2014. He also received, in 2001, a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Music Composition and Improvisation from the University of Michigan (Ann Arbor), and has been working as a composer and trumpet player since 1999. His original score for the play The Bacchae received the 2013 Montreal English Theatre Award for Outstanding Sound Design.
Brian is a member of the Canadian Bar Association, the (Ontario) Criminal Lawyers Association, the Canadian Transport Lawyers Association, the (U.S.) Transportation Lawyers Association, the Association Québécoise des avocates et avocats de la défense (Quebec Defence Lawyers Association) and the Association des avocats de la défense de Québec (Quebec City Defence Lawyers Association). From 2014 to 2015, he served on the board of directors of the Jeune Barreau de Québec (Québec City Young Bar Association).