Bertrand Cossette is a partner in the firm’s Litigation Group in Montreal. His practice includes civil and commercial litigation, construction and real estate litigation, medical liability and professional liability.
Over the years, Mr. Cossette has carried out a multitude of mandates, including, notably:
- Acting for the provisional administrator of a guarantee plan for new residential buildings appointed by the Régie du bâtiment du Québec before the Superior Court and the Court of Appeal of Québec as well as the Supreme Court of Canada in the “Pyrrhotite” case, one of the most important litigation cases in the judicial history of Québec
- Acting for a cement manufacturer in an international arbitration involving one of its main equipment supplier.
- Acting for owners, contractors and syndicates of co-ownership in several latent defects, construction defects and design defects litigation
- Acting for a multinational company involved in an environmental contamination litigation
- Acting for telecommunications companies in different commercial litigations involving some of their competitors;
- Acting for landlords and tenants involved in commercial leasing disputes
- Defending physicians involved in civil lawsuits
- Acting for companies and individuals in connection with interim injunctions and safeguard orders
Mr. Cossette is regularly called upon to give conferences and write publications on various aspects of his expertise.
Mr. Cossette obtained a Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.) from the Université de Montréal in 2011 with honours as well as a Juris Doctor in North American Common Law (J.D.) in 2014.
During his academic career, Mr. Cossette had the opportunity to study one semester in Paris (Université Paris II - Panthéon Assas), in addition to articling with the Paris branch of a Canadian law firm. He also worked at the Chair in Governance and Business Law at the Université de Montréal.
Mr. Cossette was called to the Quebec Bar in 2013.