Atrisha Lewis is a Partner in McCarthy Tétrault’s Litigation Group in Toronto. She is a trial litigator and with a practice focused on commercial disputes, professional liability and product liability matters. Atrisha frequently provides advice relating to fraud and asset recovery after the discovery of a fraud including by attending at court to seek urgent tracing and freezing orders. Atrisha represents clients in the financial services and technology sectors. Atrisha has argued before all levels of Court. In 2019, Atrisha was elected as bencher of the Law Society of Ontario.
- Counsel to the plaintiffs in successfully obtaining a Norwich order in Sutton et al. v. Dayaram et al., 2022 ONSC 2413
- Counsel to the successful party in appeals of jurisdiction at the Ontario Court of Appeal (appeals raised the issues of jurisdiction simpliciter and forum non conveniens) Vale Canada Limited v. Royal & Sun Alliance Insurance Company of Canada, 2022 ONCA 862
- Counsel to the successful defendant in a pension class action in Austin v. Bell Canada, 2019 ONSC 4757
- Counsel to the successful defendant in a two week breach of contract trial at the Commercial List in Growthworks WV Management Ltd. v. Growthworks Canadian Fund Ltd., 2018 ONSC 3108;
- Counsel to the successful defendant physician in a medical negligence trial in Peller v. Ogilvie-Harris, 2018 ONSC 725;
- Counsel to the successful defendant physician in a medical negligence trial in Bauer v Kilmurry, 2016 ONSC 7749;
- Counsel to the successful defendant in Re GrowthWorks Canadian Fund Ltd., 2015 ONSC 6875, a dispute over the interpretation of a contract;
- Counsel to successful respondent at the Divisional Court in a dispute about the distribution of proceeds from a sale of a winery in Scene Holding Inc. v. Moos, 2014 ONSC 1378;
- Counsel to the successful plaintiff in patent litigation trial in Abbvie Corporation v. Janssen Inc, 2014 FC 489.
Atrisha has consistently demonstrated her commitment to leadership in the legal profession. In 2021, she was recognized with the Globe and Mail’s “Changemakers” award. In 2020, she was awarded the Women in Law Leadership’s “Stronger Together Award” as well as the University of Toronto’s Wilson Prichard award for outstanding contribution to the legal profession. In 2019, she was recognized as one of Lexpert's Rising Stars: Leading Lawyer Under 40. In 2018, she was recognized as a “Precedent Setter” by Precedent Magazine and was awarded an Arbour Award in recognition of her outstanding volunteer contribution to the University of Toronto. In her role as Bencher of the Law Society of Ontario, Atrisha is the vice-chair of Audit and Finance and the Equity and Indigenous Affairs Committee.
Atrisha obtained her JD with honours from the University of Toronto, Faculty of Law in 2012. Upon graduation from law school, she was recognized with the Dean’s Key award. This award recognizes a student who has best demonstrated academic excellence and extra-curricular achievement during their time in law school. She also received many other leadership and academic accolades, including the Class of 1967 Prize, the Gordon Cressy Student Leadership Award, and the BLG Professional Excellence Award. She also obtained a Bachelors of Commerce with Great Distinction at McGill University in 2009, where she concentrated in Accounting.
Atrisha was called to the Ontario bar in 2013. She is fluent in French.
Vote Atrisha Lewis for Bencher 2019
The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory
Leading Lawyer: Litigation - Corporate Commercial
Lexpert Rising Stars
Leading Lawyer Under 40
Best Lawyers in Canada
Leading Lawyer: Health Care Law
Canadian Lawyer’s Top 25 Most Influential Lawyers in Canada