A widely respected thought-leader on the application of tax statutes to novel commercial challenges, Angelo is a trusted guide when a matter requires diligence, creativity, and haste
Angelo Discepola is a partner in our Tax Group in Montréal. His practice encompasses all aspects of domestic and international corporate income tax planning, public and private mergers and acquisitions and tax disputes.
Angelo has particular experience in private equity and venture capital fund formation and investor matters as well as developing remuneration strategies for fund principals; structuring and financing large renewable energy projects (wind and solar) both for project developers and operators; and structuring and issuing complex financial products and other capital markets matters. Whatever the challenge, Angelo brings to bat a reputation for detail, conscientiousness, and an eye to the bottom line in service of our clients.
Known widely for his prolific publications in in prestigious journals and as a regular speaker at various tax conferences, Angelo has also recently played a leading role in several noteworthy client engagements:
Fund formation mandates (General Partner/Sponsor)
- Fiera Comox Partners Inc., as manager, in the formation of Global Agriculture Open-End Fund L.P., a global open-end agriculture fund
- Fiera Comox Partners Inc., as manager, in the formation of Glacier Global Private Equity Fund I L.P., a global open-end private equity fund with a combination of fund and direct investments
- Fiera Comox Partners Inc., as manager, in the formation of Fiera Comox Private Credit Opportunities Open-End Fund, a global open-end private debt fund
- Urapi Sustainable Land Use LP, a Quebec-based private equity fund focused on investments in agroforestry projects in South America
Investor mandates (Limited Partner)
- Investissement Québec, Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec, Fonds de solidarité des travailleurs du Québec and Teralys Capital Innovation Fund 2018 L.P., as anchor investors, in connection with the initial closing of Amplitude Ventures Fund I L.P. valued at C$200 million
- BDC Capital Inc. in connection with its investment in Highline Beta Fund 2019, L.P., a Canadian venture capital fund managed by Highline Beta Inc. and formed as part of the Government of Canada’s Venture Capital Catalyst Initiative
MERGERS AND ACQUISITIONS
- Cineworld Group plc in its proposed acquisition of Cineplex for C$2.8 billion
- Innergex Renewable Energy Inc. in their C$1.16 billion strategic alliance and private placement with Hydro-Québec
- Rhone Capital, as seller, in BC Partners' acquisition of a C$5.2 billion majority interest in GardaWorld
- Noverco Inc. in the C$1.12 billion acquisition of all of Valener Inc.'s issued and outstanding common shares and all of Valener's issued and outstanding Cumulative Rate Reset Preferred Shares by way of plan of arrangement
- Innergex Renewable Energy in connection with its C$1.1 billion acquisition of Alterra Power Corp. by way of plan of arrangement
- HNZ Group Inc. in connection with its C$240 million acquisition by President and CEO, Don Wall, by way of plan of arrangement and the subsequent transfer of its offshore business conducted in New Zealand, Australia, the Philippines and Papua New Guinea to PHI, Inc.
- BCE Inc. in connection with its C$166 million acquisition of Alarmforce Inc. by way of plan of arrangement and the subsequent transfer of certain subscribers to TELUS Corporation
- BCE Inc. in connection with its C$3.9 billion acquisition of Manitoba Telecom Services Inc. by way of plan of arrangement and the subsequent transfer of certain wireless subscribers to TELUS Corporation
- Invenergy Wind LLC in connection with its $2 billion sale of a portfolio of US and Canadian wind projects with a combined installed capacity of 930 MW to TerraForm Power
- National Bank of Canada in the issuance of a number of structured principal protected and non-principal protected index and equity linked notes
- National Bank of Canada in the redemption of Trust Capital Securities – Series 2 by NBC Asset Trust for a total of approximately C$250 million
- The Underwriters in Ivanhoé Cambridge's C$300 million green bond offering
Angelo received a Licentiate in Law (LLL) from the University of Ottawa in 2011 (magna cum laude). He is a member of the Canadian Bar Association and of the Young Bar Association of Montréal. He is also member of the Canadian Tax Foundation’s Young Practitioners Group and the Association de planification fiscale et financière. Angelo was called to the Québec Bar in 2012.