As a commercial litigator, Andrea has a depth of experience with disputes and risk mitigation in the construction, infrastructure (P3 and private), power, and energy sectors, as well as with general corporate commercial disputes. She represents parties engaged in disputes during all project phases from initial planning and design through construction, handover, and operations.
Andrea regularly advises client on contract issues, transactional disputes, negligence and tort claims, insurance coverage issues, builders lien matters, and shareholder disputes. She assists clients with resolving complex legal issues through strategic and analytical thinking, with a view to clients’ legal and business interests.
Andrea regularly appears before courts in British Columbia and Alberta and, in addition to her trial experience, assists clients with mediations and domestic and international arbitrations. Some of her recent notable work includes:
- successfully defending a company and former executives, at trial and on appeal, against a claim of fraud and conspiracy with relief sought in excess of $1 billion (2020 BCSC 978; 2021 BCCA 326) and throughout numerous pre-trial and post-trial applications (for example, 2020 BCSC 1811; 2021 BCSC 2346)
- acting for owners and developers on construction, power, and energy projects, including in relation to construction defects, remediation projects, delay claims, builders lien matters, and price escalation and supply chain issues
- acting for project co’s, design builders, and service providers on a variety of P3 disputes
- acting for companies and shareholders on transactional disputes, contract disputes, corporate governance matters, and breach of duty claims
- advising policyholders on insurance coverage issues
- obtaining various forms of equitable and injunctive relief, including as against the perpetrator of major disruption to one of the world’s largest online streaming platforms
- successfully defending against injunctive, including on behalf of Uber (2015 ABQB 214)
Andrea is on the board of directors of CleanEnergyBC, the association representing the renewable energy industry in British Columbia. She also sits on the executive committee of the Construction Section of the Canadian Bar Association of BC branch and is a contributing author to the 5th Edition of Heintzman, West and Goldsmith on Canadian Building Contracts. Andrea champions McCarthy Tétrault’s diversity and inclusion initiatives as the Regional Pride Action Group Lead for British Columbia and is an active mentor to students and associates at the firm.