In-depth industry and legal knowledge of the financial services sector allows Ana to quickly understand your business and its applicable regulatory landscape
Ana is a partner in our Toronto Financial Services group and co-leader of the firm’s Fintech group. She shapes smart solutions for banks and businesses - and helps prevent regulatory issues - leveraging her experience.
Respected for her prescience in the emerging world of Fintech, Ana regularly advises banks, insurance companies, credit unions and Fintech entities on regulatory requirements. She is on top of the latest developments to discover novel applications for the market and her clients - and graciously shares her insight with highly anticipated prolific writings. She is a Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialist (CAMS) and a Certified Bitcoin Professional (CBP).
Foresight for financial institutions
Ana regularly provides advice to clients in the financial services industry with respect to compliance with regulatory requirements (including consumer protection requirements and anti-money laundering requirements) and with respect to the negotiation of commercial agreements (including credit card program agreements). She also advises with respect to regulatory matters relating to the financing of financial institutions, the establishment of new financial services providers and financial institution M&A and partnerships. Some of her recent work includes:
- acting for Fintech entities, including payment entities, cryptocurrency entities and online lending platforms in connection with their initial structuring and launch, and in connection with their ongoing operations;
- providing consumer protection advice with respect to credit cards, debit cards, prepaid cards and loyalty programs;
- advising on the negotiation and implementation of credit card programs, prepaid card programs and loyalty programs;
- acting for a Canadian bank in connection with its test use of blockchain for debt issuance;
- acting as counsel to the lenders in connection with a large secured liquidity facility to a regulated Canadian financial institution; and
- acting on behalf of a foreign bank in connection with the bank’s establishment of a Schedule III branch.
Additionally, Ana completed a six-month secondment with a major Canadian financial institution, advising on matters relating to mobile payments.
Committed to continuous education, she is often called upon to write and speak on Fintech regulation, bank-Fintech partnerships, cryptocurrencies and blockchain technology, payment innovation, open banking, online lending and marketplace lending, Insurtech and Regtech. Ana was honoured with a Lexpert Rising Star award, which recognizes Canada’s leading lawyers under the age of 40. She received her LLM in Banking and Financial Law from Boston University in 2014, with concentrations in International Banking and Financial Law and in Compliance Management. She was the recipient of the Award for Academic Excellence in Banking and Financial Law, for the highest cumulative GPA in the class. In addition, she has also completed the Osgoode Certificate in Regulatory Compliance and Legal Risk Management for Financial Institutions. Ana obtained her B. Math (Operations Research) from the University of Waterloo in 2000, and her LLB in 2003 at Osgoode Hall Law School.
McCarthy Tétrault and OpenLaw collaborate on loan agreement smart contract project powered by Ethereum blockchain
Rebuilding lending to better serve the industry: our award-winning Fintech Group teamed up with OpenLaw to innovate smart contract powered loan agreements on the Ethereum blockchain.