Alexandre Saulnier-Marceau is an associate in our Business Law Group in Québec City. He acts for companies on complex transactions in several industries and areas of business law, including private equity, M&A and project finance.
Alexandre represents managers and investors in the formation of PE and venture capital funds. He advises fund managers in connection with their investments and their operations. He also assists various Canadian institutional and strategic investors in their participation in Canadian, US and European funds and in co-investments. His experience includes funds targeting start-ups, infrastructure, private debt and sustainable development, as well as ESG-oriented funds, incubator funds and continuation funds.
He acts for developers, lenders, borrowers, bondholders and government institutions for the development and financing of infrastructure and renewable energy projects across Canada. He also acts for financial institutions and business in the establishment of various types of credit facilities.
He also advises various public and private companies in mergers and acquisitions, financing, and various transactions and projects, in industries including life sciences, technology, transportation and natural resources.
In transportation law, Alexandre represents purchasers, carriers and shippers in connection with the acquisition of bus and rail businesses and infrastructure and the negotiation of transportation and subcontracting agreements.
Alexandre’s experience includes the following significant mandates:
Fund Formation and Private Equity
- Power Sustainable Capital in the formation of Power Sustainable Energy Infrastructure Partnership, a $1 billion investment platform for renewable energy in North America launched with Desjardins, Potentia Renewables and Nautilus Solar, and Lios Fund I, a $300 million sustainable agri-food private equity fund;
- BDC Capital in a $150 million investment in the Indigenous Growth Fund to finance Aboriginal financial institutions and First Nations business in Canada;
- Urapi Sustainable Land Use L.P. in the formation of a Québec-based fund investing in agroforestry projects in South America while generating local community empowerment;
Financing and Renewable Energy
- Manulife and Sun Life in the Wataynikaneyap power transmission line project financing, in partnership with First Nations communities in Northwestern Ontario;
- SOFIAC, a $200 million investment vehicle for energy efficiency projects in buildings, in its formation by partners Fondaction and Econoler Inc., and in its financing with Fiera Private Debt, Canada Infrastructure Bank (CIB) and Desjardins;
- The bondholders on a $1.2 billion financing of a hydro portfolio in Québec;
- Innergex Renewable Energy Inc. in the creation of a strategic alliance with Hydro-Québec and a private placement with a total value of $1.1 billion;
- OSF Global Services (OSF Digital), a Québec City-based technology company, in two investment rounds by Delta-v Capital, a U.S. fund, and in the acquisition of Relation1 Inc.;
- Canada Computational Unlimited Corp. (CCU/SATO), a Québec cryptocurrency mining company, in the reverse takeover of Capricorn Business Acquisitions and its TSXV listing; and
- Brookfield Infrastructure and GIC, Singapore’s sovereign wealth fund, in their $8,4 billion acquisition of Genessee & Wyoming Inc., a railroad company active in North America and abroad.
Alexandre obtained his bachelor’s degree in law (LL.B.) in 2017 from the Faculty of Law at Université Laval, where he ranked third on the honour roll. In the same year, he also completed an integrated bachelor’s degree in public affairs and international relations at Université Laval. During his studies, he spent a semester at the University of Zurich in Switzerland. He won second place for Best Mooter at the Charles-Rousseau Moot Court Competition in International Law and articled at the Court of Appeal of Québec for the Honourable Étienne Parent.
Alexandre was called to the Québec Bar in 2018. He is also a member of the Québec City Bar and the Canadian Bar Association.