Alexander Steele is an associate in our Litigation and Bankruptcy & Restructuring Groups in Toronto. His practice focuses on insolvency and restructuring litigation, regulatory matters, and real property and municipal litigation.
Alexander regularly appears before courts and administrative tribunals, including the Ontario Court of Justice, the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, the Commercial List, and the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal.
Bankruptcy and Restructuring
- CannTrust Holdings: Acted for CannTrust, a licensed producer of cannabis, in its restructuring proceedings under the CCAA.
- The Cresford Group: Acted for the Receiver of two major condominium construction projects.
- The Clover on Yonge Inc.: Acted for the Monitor in the CCAA restructuring proceedings of a major condominium construction project.
- Rothmans, Benson and Hedges: Acted for the company in its restructuring proceedings under the CCAA.
- Lydian International Limited: Acted for a major lessor and financier of heavy mining equipment in Lydian’s CCAA restructuring proceedings.
- Acted for numerous commercial landlords in their tenants’ bankruptcy and restructuring proceedings.
- Counsel to aviation service providers, commercial landlords, and residential developers in service contract, landlord/tenant, and property disputes
- Representing residential developers and institutional landowners in development and planning approval proceedings at the Local Planning Appeal Tribunal and Committees of Adjustment
- Representing landowners in expropriation negotiations and disputes with municipal and provincial authorities
- Defending agricultural, industrial and institutional clients against by-law, environmental, and health & safety offences under the Provincial Offences Act
- Counsel to staff and employees of an industrial waste disposal facility under investigation by the Ministry of Environmental Conservation and Parks
- Advising major retailers on compliance with designer registration requirements under the Ontario Building Code
Alexander received his JD from the Faculty of Law at Queen’s University in 2017. During law school, he volunteered with a community legal clinic, worked as a legal research assistant, and was involved in several moot competitions. Alexander was awarded the Queen’s Law Prize in Negotiation. In his final year at Queen’s, Alexander participated in an international exchange to the University of Hong Kong.
Prior to studying law, Alexander obtained his Bachelor of Science in Environmental Science (Honours) from Queen’s University, and worked as a geophysical analyst for an oil and gas company in Calgary, Alberta. Alexander completed the Certificate in Provincial Offences Court Practice at Osgoode Hall Law School, York University in 2019.
Alexander was called to the Ontario Bar in 2018. He sits on the executive of the Ontario Bar Association’s Aboriginal Law, Natural Resources & Energy Law sections, and its Young Leaders Division. He is a member of the Law Society of Upper Canada, Canadian Bar Association, and the Ontario Bar Association.