Ailbish Bruchet is a partner in our Business Law Group and Financial Services Group in Toronto. Her practice is primarily focused in the areas of banking and secured lending transactions, structured finance and securitization, project finance and project development and operation.
Ailbish regularly advises domestic and international developers, equity sponsors, lenders and other participants in connection with complex infrastructure projects across North America, including in the social, transportation, aviation and other sectors. Ailbish also represents Canadian and foreign banks and financial institutions as well as borrowers in various business industries on financing transactions, including syndicated and bilateral credit facilities, private placements and cross-border financings.
Representative transactions include:
Infrastructure and PPP
- Advising the lenders to the successful proponent for the $1.2 billion West Park Healthcare Centre Hospital Development Project (2019 P3 Award (Silver) for Best Social Infrastructure Project (excluding Education) and 2019 P3 Award (Silver) for Best Financial Structure – Social Infrastructure);
- Advising the lenders to the successful proponent for the Tlicho All-Season Road Project (Canadian Council for Public Private Partnerships 2019 Gold Award for Project Development);
- Advising the successful proponent for the $2.5 billion Finch West LRT Project (2018 IJ Global Rail Deal of the Year for North America);
- Advising the lenders to the successful proponent for the $5.7 billion Gordie Howe International Bridge Project (2018 Lexpert Deal of the Year, 2018 IJ Global Roads Deal of the Year for North America, 2019 P3 Award for Best Road/Bridge/Tunnel Project, Project Finance International 2018 Americas Transport Deal of the Year, Canadian Council for Public Private Partnerships 2019 Gold Award for Project Financing, CG/LA Infrastructure 2019 Oracle Project of the Year Award and Outstanding Emerging Project by the National Council for Public-Private Partnerships);
- Advising the lenders to the successful proponent for the $417 million Royal Inland Hospital Project (2018 IJ Global Social Infrastructure Deal of the Year for North America);
- Advising a Canadian concessions company on a transaction with the Government of Bermuda with respect to the L.F. Wade International Airport Redevelopment Project, a 30-year concession granted by the Government of Bermuda to finance, construct and operate a new airport terminal (2017 IJ Global North America Airport Deal of the Year, Canadian Council for Public-Private Partnerships 2021 Gold Award for Infrastructure (International) Innovation and Excellence in Public Private Partnerships);
- Advising a member of the successful bidder in connection with the redevelopment and operation of retail space at the Chicago Midway International Airport;
- Advising a member of the successful bidding consortium in connection with the redevelopment of the William H. Gray III 30th Street Station in Philadelphia;
- Advising an international port operator in connection with the long-term terminal lease and development of an expansion project at Duke Point Terminal in British Columbia;
- Advising EllisDon Corp. in connection with its acquisition of various assets related to Carillion Canada Holdings Inc.'s Canadian operations; and
- Advising a project sponsor in the disposition of its interest in a British Columbia hospital project.
Corporate, Structured and Project Finance
- Advising the issuer in a rated cross-border bond issuance valued at approximately C$228 million to refinance the South Fraser Perimeter Road Project in British Columbia (recognized as "North American Refinancing of 2015" by IJGlobal - Project Finance & Infrastructure Journal);
- Advising the sole underwriter on the private placement of $2.9 billion of bonds to fund development of a hydroelectric generation and transmission facility;
- Advising HSBC Bank Canada on the establishment of its $3.5 billion Legislative Covered Bond Programme registered under the Canadian legal framework for covered bonds administered by the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, as well as the issuance of US$750 million 3.300% Series CBL1 Covered Bonds due November 28, 2021;
- Advising the issuer in a rated cross-border bond issuance valued at approximately C$1.2 billion to refinance the Autoroute 30 road project in Quebec and the novation of project-related inflation-hedge arrangements;
- Advising an international port operator in connection with its syndicated credit facility of approximately $800 million to finance among other things, the construction of development projects at various Canadian ports;
- Advising a port operator company on the establishment of its capital markets platform, its credit facilities and the issuance of public and privately placed debt instruments;
- Advising a British Columbia ferry company on its capital markets platform, its credit facilities and the issuance of public and privately placed debt instruments; and
- Advising a major forestry company in respect of its syndicated credit facility, its bilateral credit facility and the issuance and repayment of series of its senior secured notes.
Ailbish received her J.D. (With Distinction) from the University of Western Ontario in 2014. Ailbish was called to the British Columbia bar in 2015 and the Ontario bar in 2020. She is a member of the Law Society of British Columbia, Law Society of Ontario, the Canadian Bar Association and the Vancouver Bar Association.