Virtual Advocacy: Litigating from a Distance
May 24, 2023
Time of event
Litigating from a distance is now the new normal for many and it’s here to stay.
This education program, hosted by the Toronto Lawyers Association in partnership with McCarthy Tétrault and LexisNexis Canada, will give you practical information about how to navigate the evolving world of hybrid courtrooms and tribunals; this is vital for anyone involved in litigation – whether practitioners, litigators, or students. Hear insights from prominent litigators and judges on navigating this shifting virtual advocacy landscape.
Join us in person or online to celebrate the launch of McCarthy Tétrault’s Virtual Advocacy: Litigating from a Distance publication, a unique treatise addressing key issues arising from an increasingly virtual practice. You will receive invaluable insight into best practices for navigating the virtual litigation world.
Hear from Justice David Brown, Court of Appeal for Ontario, Justices Fred Myers and Lucille Shaw, Superior Court of Justice, and Sarit Batner, Partner and Chair of the Board of Partners at McCarthy Tétrault, for a lively panel discussion touching on the book’s themes.
Topics of discussion include:
- The onset of the COVID-19 pandemic necessitating a swift shift in the functioning of the Canadian judicial system.
- Procedural and tactical considerations of virtual practice, including ethical advocacy.
- The future of virtual advocacy, including what a sustainable virtual practice may look like and whether virtual practice is here to stay.
You will learn how to manage your virtual advocacy efforts in an effective and persuasive way and to assist clients and the court in a meaningful and cost-efficient manner.
For those attending in person, a reception will follow the panel discussion, where you can also purchase a copy of the book.
Come and join us as we celebrate the launch of Virtual Advocacy: Litigating from a Distance. Meet the speakers. Make new friends and catch up with colleagues. Light refreshments will be served.
- The Honourable David M. Brown, Court of Appeal for Ontario
- The Honourable Frederick L. Myers, Superior Court of Justice
- The Honourable M.J. Lucille Shaw, Superior Court of Justice
- Sarit E. Batner, Partner, Chair of the Board of Partners, McCarthy Tétrault LLP
- Sean Petrou, McCarthy Tétrault LLP
- Akiva Stern, McCarthy Tétrault LLP
For questions or to register for this event, please visit https://tlaonline.ca/event/virtual-advocacy-litigating-from-a-distance.
This program qualifies for 1 hour of Professionalism credit under the Law Society of Ontario. This program has also been approved for LAWPRO’s Risk Management Credit.
5:30 - 6:30 p.m. - Panel Discussion
6:30 - 7:30 p.m. - Mix and Mingle