From Policies to Practicalities: Canada’s Foreign Investment and National Security Regimes in Today’s Geopolitical Climate
July 15, 2021
Time of event
The global pandemic has compelled a number of countries to revisit their foreign investment policies, with particular focus being placed on national security and protecting Canada’s economic interests. With a mature foreign investment regime and historically open economy, invaluable lessons can be drawn from the Canadian experience under the Investment Canada Act.
Join McCarthy Tétrault in a two-part panel discussion as our government and private sector experts discuss and debate the impact of geopolitics on Canada’s foreign investment review policy. The panel discussions will highlight the practical implications of Canada’s foreign investment regime on the investment strategies of foreign investors and those of Canadian businesses seeking to attract investment, and will consider lessons learned and trends to watch for in Canadian foreign investment and national security reviews under the Investment Canada Act. To see the agenda, click here.
- Through the Looking Glass – Effective Strategic Planning for Foreign Investment and National Security Reviews
- Trends & Takeaways – Navigating the Foreign Investment Review Process under the Investment Canada Act
- Katherine Burke, Director General, Investment Review Division, Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
- Goldy Hyder, President and Chief Executive Officer, Business Council of Canada
- John Knubley, Senior Counsel, Longview Communications and former Deputy Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada
- Elizabeth Roscoe, Senior Vice President and National Practice Leader in Public Affairs, Hill+Knowlton Strategies Canada
- Jason Gudofsky, Partner and Head of the Competition/Antitrust & Foreign Investment Group, McCarthy Tétrault LLP
- Casey Halladay, Partner, Competition/Antitrust & Foreign Investment Group, McCarthy Tétrault LLP
- Debbie Salzberger, Partner, Competition/Antitrust & Foreign Investment Group, McCarthy Tétrault LLP
- The Honourable Wayne G. Wouters, Strategic and Policy Advisor, McCarthy Tétrault LLP and former Clerk of the Privy Council and Secretary to the Cabinet
Note: All instructions and information on how to access the webinar will be forwarded a few days before the event.
This program qualifies for up to 1.5 hours of CPD credit under the mandatory education regimes in British Columbia and Ontario.
Barreau du Québec Continuing Education: This program contains up to 1.5 hours of content. For more information regarding the declaration and recognition of educational activities, please contact the Barreau du Québec.
For questions about this seminar, please contact [email protected].
Thursday, July 15, 2021
11:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. (ET)
9:30 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. (MT)
8:30 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. (PT)