McCarthy Tétrault Tax Perspectives: Recent Developments in Tax Administration and Tax Litigation - Montréal
May 24, 2023
Time of event
Our Quebec region tax team is pleased to invite you to join us in our new Montreal office for this presentation, which will focus on the latest developments in tax administration and tax litigation, including those arising from the most recent budgets.
The presentation will be followed by a cocktail, giving you the opportunity to network and discover our new office.
The following topics will be discussed in a practical manner:
- Changes to the General Anti-Avoidance Rule (GAAR), including the addition of a 25% penalty and a criterion of economic substance. What does this mean for the jurisprudence of the past 25 years? Do the proposed changes overturn previous case law? How will the penalty be applied?
- Recent developments regarding audits:
- Requests for information from the CRA and Revenu Québec - strategies and technologies to use when responding to requests that are more and more frequent and require the production of a large number of documents.
- Reassessment of returns filed in time-barred years and application of penalties – legal responses and practices of the tax authorities.
- Impact of recent budget proposals. Are they a retroactive change in the law, as the Department of Finance seems to suggest?
- Audit cycle times, processing of objections times and best practices to expedite the processing of files.
- When and how to file a level of service complaint, and how to avoid the backlash.
- Nicolas Cloutier – Partner, Tax Group, McCarthy Tétrault
- Dominic Bédard-Lapointe – Partner, Tax Group, McCarthy Tétrault
- Kassandra Grenier – Partner, Tax Group, McCarthy Tétrault
- Simon Douville – Counsel, Tax Group, McCarthy Tétrault
- Marie-Soleil Landry – Partner, Tax Group, McCarthy Tétrault
Note: The presentation will be offered in French only and will take place at our Montreal office.
For questions or registration requests about this event, please contact [email protected].
Mandatory continuing education for Quebec CPAs: This program is equivalent to 1 hour of content. You can find more information on the continuing education requirements for Quebec CPAs here.
Barreau du Québec Continuing Education: This program contains up to 1 hour of content. For more information regarding the declaration and recognition of educational activities, please contact the Barreau du Québec.
3:45 p.m. – Registration
4:00 p.m. – Presentation
5:00 p.m. – Cocktail Reception