McCarthy Tétrault Tax Perspectives: Recent Developments in Tax Administration and Litigation - Vancouver
June 1, 2023
Time of event
This session will discuss recent tax dispute developments and how they will affect your business, your tax planning, and your litigation risks.
Proposed changes to the general anti-avoidance rule (GAAR), including the addition of a GAAR penalty and an economic substance component. Does this overrule the past 25 years of case law?
- Recent concerning developments in the CRA approach to audits:
- Requirements for Information – strategies and technology that can be used to respond to increasingly frequent and extremely broad requests for a large number of documents to be delivered in a short period of time
- Attempting to re-open what should be statute-barred years – legal and practical responses
- The impact of recent budget proposals that appear to be an attempt by Finance to change the law retroactively by describing the revised legislation as merely clarifying Finance’s historic view of the law.
- Chia-yi Chua, Senior Counsel, National Tax Group, Toronto
- Dominic Bédard-Lapointe, Partner, National Tax Group, Montréal
- Anu Koshal, Partner, National Tax Group, Toronto
- Simon Douville, Counsel, National Tax Group, Toronto
- Kim Brown, Partner & Vancouver Lead, National Tax Group
For questions or registration requests about this event, please contact [email protected].
This seminar qualifies for up to 1.5 hours of CPD credit under the Law Society of BC’s mandatory regime.
This seminar may be eligible for BC CPA credits. More information can be found here: https://www.bccpa.ca/member-practice-regulation/continuing-professional-development-cpd/cpd-requirements/#cpd
Note: This will take place in our Vancouver office and will be given in English only. A lunch to suit most dietary concerns will be served.
11:30 a.m. - Registration & lunch
12:00 p.m. - Session starts
1:30 p.m. - Session ends